LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Harbinger of War
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
u mean the back bumber ?? that thing gets dirty the second u take ur eyes off it....i clean it like every time i drive

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just ordered a bottle of Z2 pro and figure I'll try out the clay bar on my rear bumper........I'll post up w/results later!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cant wait till I get moved into the new house with a nice big garage. A thorough detail of the new formula including a clay bar are in order.

·
Registered
710 Posts
when planes come in my shop messed up from the manufactured we clay bar them with meguiars(sp?) clay and it works wonders. if we use it on 4 million dollar planes than it must be good stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would just add that if you EVER drop the clay on the ground you MUST throw it away, everything sticks to it, even if you think you have it picked off. don't chance it. Instead, tear the claybar into 1/4-1/3 peices. That way if you do drop it, you won't waste the whole bar and can just toss that peice and grab another one. Also keep kneeding it to a clean section while your using the bar. Claybars also work really well on windows too, so don't forget them while your doing the paint.
Not quite true. I work at a local Ford dealer ship were i detail cars. What i was trained to do was to take the clay bar into a room with a sink, and turn it on as hot as you can, then u basicly keep stretching it and folding it. this is how you clean a claybar. do this before you use it too to take the sticky stuff off it. but if u drop it, just do what i said above, you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
NOTE TO SELF: do NOT set detailing bottle down next to tire cleaning bottle... it ****ing sucks. i got 3/4 the way thru clay baring the car, and went inside to get a drink, came back outside and picked up the wrong bottle, which i didnt realize until i was DONE. it made for a sticky mess, and i ended up having to rewash the entire car over again. extremely frustrating, just figured it might save someone a headache in the future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Man with everyone bragging about clay bars i cant wait to try it. Good write up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wash, shammy, claybar, wax and detail a B-Body in one afternoon - all by hand, no power tools - and you will appreciate the F-Body.

Size does matter, and B-Body's seem to swell to three times their original size whenever they see the word 'wax'.

But DAM(n) she looked GOOD - until I backed her out into a rainstorm to go to a car show....

:craz28:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not quite true. I work at a local Ford dealer ship were i detail cars. What i was trained to do was to take the clay bar into a room with a sink, and turn it on as hot as you can, then u basicly keep stretching it and folding it. this is how you clean a claybar. do this before you use it too to take the sticky stuff off it. but if u drop it, just do what i said above, you should be fine.

Not trying to be a jerk but you can ask any professional and they will say you have to throw it away if its dropped. It's impossible to pull all the crap out that you may have gotten in the bar after dropping it. Half of my detailing jobs are from fixing hack jobs done at the dealerships (holograms, compounding swirls, etc.).

·
Registered
29 Posts
The best way to clay bar is to wash your car real good, while your in the car wash stall without drying your car,clay bar it, then wash again dry and wax. I use conditioner and some shampoo mixed in a spray bottle. If you do it while your car is soaking wet it helps a ton, plus your right there to wash off the residue. I can clay bar my car in the stall in about 15 to 20 min. Plus I don't know if anyone has mentioned but clay bar all your windows and mirrors then wax them also. Will make them look brand new!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts