LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all after fixing my car i decided to do a oil change its been sitting for a while and when drained the oil it looked like chocolate milk?? Should i be worried? Because i am lol I know when i changed the cam seal and opti seal i cleaned the front of the block with water and cleaner you think that could of caused it when mixed with the oil? Should i change the oil let it cycle and change it again after it running for awhile?? Any suggestions

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it sat for a while, I could be due to condensation build up inside of crank case. May be worth a shot to see what it looks like again after driving a bit. Would definitely not run it too much, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it sat for about a year just been cranking it in the driveway every blue moon until i noticed the temp light came on and seen the water pump bearing went out so i just went ahead and did the seals and opti Change along with the water pump

·
Global Moderator
13,218 Posts
For now, go ahead and change the oil & filter. Run engine long enough to get up to temp. Have radiator cap off and when thermostat opens see if there are bubbles in coolant of radiator. If yes, this is a sure sign of coolant leaking into cylinders from water passages. But also check oil on dipstick. If it looks like chocolate again, coolant is getting into your oil.

Since you posted in lt1 engine section, I assume your car is92-97. But you always need to list make, model, year, engine type in your posts. Or make a signature that will appear in every post. This helps members to help you.

Start testing by running a compression & a leak down test. The results will help determine if you have blown head gasket. But blown head gasket or cracked block or heads can have many other symptoms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok its a 96 cadillac fleetwood so the radiator itself doesnt have a cap but the overflow tank does so will i be able to tell from there also?

·
Global Moderator
13,218 Posts
Yes, in cars that don't have a rad cap, the expansion tank is pressureized. So you would be able to see air bubbles in the tank, if head gaskets are blown in a place where combustion gasses escape cylinders and go into water passages.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well i added some anti freeze right below the filler neck let it ran for about 15 mintues then the fluids raised up and it did bubble up a few times but thought this was normal. Heres a video xheck it out Streamable Video

·
Registered
56 Posts
Normal if it was real low for it to let air out. But did it suck down a bunch of water/coolant? If not, I’d suspect head gasket leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think i over filled it a little bit. I had the heat going but i ended up putting the cap on because it was getting everywhere lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got to remember when i installed my new water pump i havent bleed the air out the cooling system yet since getting my car finally started

·
Global Moderator
13,218 Posts
The bubbling you saw was normal. You would have seen constant bubbling if blow out of head gasket occurred where combustion gasses leak into coolant passages.

After running engine for 15 minutes, how did oil look on dipstick?

Since blown head gaskets can have so many different symptoms, the compression test should be done next. Look for cylinder pressure being way lower, either on a single cylinder, or on 2 cylinders that are side by side.

Not all blown head gaskets will let coolant get into oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question? Would adding seafoam right before this next oil xhange be a good idea to remove any left over chocalate milk thats left behind and clean it up a bit?

·
Global Moderator
13,218 Posts
Adding seafoam can't hurt. But if you don't see chocolate milk on your dipstick, then any remaining water should evaporate when oil gets hot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok i mite add a little bit just for extra measures this weekend when i change out the oil 1 more time

1 - 20 of 32 Posts