LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about removing the cat in my 95 formula with borla 3" exhaust. What are the ups and downs to doing this?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Emissions ? .. after that they say up to 5 HP gain, so you won't feel any change, stinky eye burning exhaust at idle, I also don't particually like the sound (raspy), if you have chrome tips they will get dark brown gunk coated requiring polish to remove, instead of the soft soot. Had to remove my cat after LT header install. Next mod is to add a pair of aftermarket's back in. In your case, since the Cat and Y-Pipe is all a single unit on a '95 you will need to cut off the Cat where it joins the Y. And that joint is a weird oval shaped, with only a couple if inches to work with. So it's going to be tricky getting a straight pipe on that end to mate with the stock collar on the catback. Here is a diagram ref shbox.com http://shbox.com/1/exhaust_system.jpg #1 is all one assembly..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Advantages: Slight power increase, car will be louder, and you don't have to worry about the cat breaking (this happened to me! It rattled so loud I thought something serous was wrong with the car). Oh and you can sell it for a few bucks

Disadvantages: Your exhaust will have a stronger smell, you will be polluting the environment more than normal (this is assuming the cat is still functional).

In my opinion remove it.
If my SL2 didn't require one to run properly, I would have removed it a long time ago

·
Registered
753 Posts
if you have chrome tips they will get dark brown gunk coated requiring polish to remove, instead of the soft soot.
I have quad 4" tips and I have never had a problem with any gunk build up?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The cat on my 95 was so plugged it wouldn't idle correctly.....so I gutted it. Does it breath better? Yes. Does it sound better? NO. It now has a hollow tin can type sound you can hear inside the car that annoys the crap out of me. If you want it to breath better, install a catless off road y (probably illegal in almost all states) or install a better y pipe with a a high flow cat. Yea, punching the cat out is a cheap 5 h.p. put it does have it's draw backs, and if you are not racing, probably not worth it. Just my .02 fwiw..............:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need to gut it, on our 95 models they only came with 1 cat. I gutted mine and felt a differance and it sounded better, I have Corsa so mabye that's why. The 96 models came with 2 cats and are rated 10 hp over ours, so that's why I did it. I didn't get any smell or anything negative after I did it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only issue I've had with mine running lt's, ory, and the 3" borla w/ quad tips (catless) has been the added attention from being so d*** loud (as I've been told several times). Though running without cats is illegal in some states.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts