LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare intake, and an old set of valves I'm re-purposing for my top end overhaul, both of which have carbon buildup. What's the best way to clean these? I'm assuming valves can be taken care of with elbow grease, a soft wire brush, and brake/carb cleaner, but what about the passages in the intake? Any way for me to clean it myself without sending it out?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
soak the parts overnight in seafoam or varsol or something. hell even a couple gallons of old gas. agitate bad areas periodically with a toothbrush. the next day most of the carbon will be so soft, it'll wipe off. then brake clean or something to wash the solovent off..

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
YEP, THESE LT1 INTAKE MANIFOLDS really seem to gum up after awhile, is there any cure for this or is it the nature of the beast? ed
deleting the EGR helps quite a bit,

pcv system does produce some oil sludge in the intake too. there's so much blowby under high load, and intake manifold is reduced, so the crankcase moves out of vacuum and into pressure, and it pukes crankcase fumes back into the intake via the throttle body. a breather filter on the passenger valve cover and a catch can for the pcv valve can eliminate most of that.

·
Registered
807 Posts
deleting the EGR helps quite a bit,

pcv system does produce some oil sludge in the intake too. there's so much blowby under high load, and intake manifold is reduced, so the crankcase moves out of vacuum and into pressure, and it pukes crankcase fumes back into the intake via the throttle body. a breather filter on the passenger valve cover and a catch can for the pcv valve can eliminate most of that.
Stevo, Thanks do you have any part numbers for thr breather filter that you use. Also explain more thoroughly about the catch can for the pcv valve? ed

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Stevo, Thanks do you have any part numbers for thr breather filter that you use. Also explain more thoroughly about the catch can for the pcv valve? ed

Something along those lines, basically plumbed into the PCV circuit in series so that crankcase fumes are still pulled into the engine but any misting oil is trapped and collects in the can.

Or, you can just run a vented catch can in which the crankcase gases just push out too and vent to the atmosphere, may smell a little so prob not the best for a street car that has to drive non car people around.

Both options do a decent job at preventing oil from being sucked into the intake tract , but you will have to remember to drain them every so often.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Stevo, Thanks do you have any part numbers for thr breather filter that you use
i just went to the parts store and said '5/8ths breather filter' and got a $3.00 chinese made one for now. k&n makes a nice one; gm makes a nice one too that's chromed with a bowtie. they aren't expensive

·
Registered
807 Posts
Thanks guys, SNM, what exactly is that aluminum cylinder from? Does it
have a p/n OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT? If its some little top secret piece,
then I will understand if you wont tell me. But anyway I would like to do
something like that on the Roady. ed :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I run the risk of getting pulled over for a roadside check in the Fleetwood, but around here the valve-cover breathers are illegal. Part of our emissions controls.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Thanks guys, SNM, what exactly is that aluminum cylinder from? Does it
have a p/n OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT? If its some little top secret piece,
then I will understand if you wont tell me. But anyway I would like to do
something like that on the Roady. ed :cool:
Here is an example, google search "oil catch can"

Billet PCV Catch Cans

Basically it pulls the crankcase gases through a media that forces any floating oil particulates to fall and gather at the bottom of the can versus being sucked into the engine.

AFAIK, it is legal if you are worried bout emissions, and will allow the stock PCV system to work as OEM intended.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Spray or soak in carburetor cleaner it is safe for steel cast iron and aluminum cleans carbon grease and grime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts