LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my chevelle back together after I thought I had a timing issue, new balancer, timing chain, distributor, plugs and wires. I could never get it to idle right, it always wanted to die out, played with the timing and I could get it to idle fine just really hard starts.. So after replacing everything and putting it back together it fired right up, idled and sounded great! Starter went out on me and after replacing it it went back to doing the same stuff.. It starts right up now and takes it's gas but if I just let it idle it wants to die out then backfires through the carb..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry been busy.. I reset the distributor one notch back and now it starts and idles perfect in park/neutral.. but it seems to like alot of timing.. around 18-20 initial, but doesnt idle the greatest until i hook the vauum up to the manifold port and it idles and revs great..

Its a .030 over 350, VooDoo 60105 cam,2800 stall, flat tops, double hump heads.. 11.1:1 compression. Holley 750 carb, hei distributor.

It idles around 1000 rpm in park but when i put it in gear it drops to around 500 and seems to want to die out if i just let it idle in gear.. If i adjust everything when its in gear it idles around 1200 in park.. I feel as if its a timing issue, but its got new timing chain, balancer, distributor, plugs + wires..

I know my stall is a little small for that cam, but it ran and drove great for the last few years...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still trying to figure this out.. Today I was going to mess with the timing and see where I was at, fired it up and it idled for about a minute or so then died on me, took a while to finally get it fired back up, it just cranked but wouldn't fire.. Got it fired back up and it idled right at 1000 rpm, let it idle for a while until the temp got up, unhooked the vacuum advance and rpms dropped and it died, then did the same thing where it just cranked for a while before finally firing.

Everyone is telling me this is a carb problem and not a timing.. But the car is for sale and I really don't want to dump more money into it for a new carb just for it to do the same thing.

I couldn't get a read on the timing because of this, and I have to hook my vacuum advance to the full vacuum port to get it to idle right..

Should i maybe turn the idle up and hook it to the ported spot on the carb and see if I can get it to run that way? or any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Having the vacuum advance hooked to the right connection is always a plus. With it hooked to manifold vacuum, you're slamming to full vacuum advance as soon as it cranks.

For starters, rather than just move the distributor a tooth this way or a tooth that way, take the time to get it set correctly on #1. Until this is done, you're just pissing in the wind. Then get your initial advance back down to some sane level, like about 8-10 degrees. You should be able to get it to idle lower than it is, IMHO. If not, you're really gonna have to work at getting the initial timing set, probably using a trouble light, because at 1200 rpm you're already starting to see some mechanical advance being pulled in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I adjusted the floats again in the carb, car fired right up, let it idle some shit it off and it fired right back up, shut it off and moved the vacuum advance to the ported side fired it up and idled perfect, I let it sit there while I was looking for some caps for the vacuum ports and it slowly died out then quit and won't start back up now, I'm assuming I'm going to have to set the floats again, is this just because it's getting too much fuel now?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like i suspected i had to adjust the floats again, the bowls were completely full.. I finally got a reading with the timing light, all though it idles around 6-650 with everything unhooked, it was reading right around 12 degrees, seems like its running real rich now though, i adjusted the regulator down to 5 psi..

Im thinking about going and getting a 650-670 carb tomorrow and throw it on and go from there, im sure this 750 is a little too much for my motor anyways.

and that timing was with the distributor almost exactly where it should be, I was starting to get a high from the fumes so I didnt get to play with the timing too much.. At least its starting again though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts