LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car won't turnover, AND my security light is on. Not blinking, but constantly on. How can I reset this or bypass it altogether so I can drive my car? Thanks guys.

Btw, it's a 93 T/A auto.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
You have a problem with vats. shbox.com has a good write up on vats and how to do a resister trick to make up for worn key pellet or bad ignition lock contacts. This resistor trick works about 95% of the time to turn security light off and let car crank and run.

When your security light is on, starter is disabled, as well as, fuel injectors. For the 5% of cars that don't respond to the resistor trick, we have the vats fuel enable signal bypass module. This module sends the pcm the 30 hertz signal your 93 needs to enable the fuel injectors. Please note that your 93 will take the 30 hertz bypass module, while 94 and newer cars use a 50 hertz bypass module.

if you order this module, use the drop down as you need the 30 hertz model, not the standard one.

However, once you wire the bypass module in, you will still need to make the starter function. Again go to shoebox's site, choose the starting and charging wiring diagram.

You are going to have to locate the tdr (theft deterrent relay) it's a starter relay tucked way up under the dash. I believe it's near the passenger airbag bracket. It will have 2 large yellow wires, 1 large dark green wire, and one small yellow/black wire.

The yellow/black small wire is your target. You will need to cut the wire several inches from where it goes into relay. You then splice in another piece of wire, splice it into the piece of wire going to the relay. The other end of the wire you splice in goes to a good ground. Look for a ground located under the dash.

Once you splice and ground the small yellow/black wire, your starter will work anytime you need it, unless there are problems elsewhere.

You can get this 30 hertz bypass module at Baker Electronix - GM VATS Bypass

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if my key doesn't have said pellet? I bought the car and have been driving it around the past couple of days with no issues.....until this morning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
Then I'd say you were just lucky for awhile, but now your luck has run out.

If you have a key without the resistor pellet, you have no way of measuring the keys pellet resistance, so you can do the resistor trick.

However, your still in luck as I have seen a resistor bypass module on the web that has all 15 resistor values built in. So do a google search, find the resistor type bypass module. Wire it in.

Then you will have to go through the 15 values, find the one that shuts off the security light. You'll be good to go, that is if your not one of the 5% with additional vats problems.

Anyway follow the wiring in instructions at shoebox's site. Vats is in the how to section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts