LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I've been around for a bit, just never really had a reason to post (Dont know enough to contribute yet). I just wanted to first say, I've really enjoyed the forums, I've probably learned the most about my car from this site. That being said...

I own a '94 Pontiac Formula, A4. Its been leaking some exhaust up front lately, and when I finally took it in to the shop, I was informed that some screws in my exhaust manifold were broken off. They had loosened the manifold, and thats why the exhaust was escaping. He told me that they had to take the thing off to replace the bolts/seals at least, while possibly replacing the whole manifold itself. He said my car will be down for at minimum a few days, probably a week or so if things go bad. :(

My question here though, is what I could possibly have done while the engines going to be worked on. No sense in having them go through the trouble of taking everything back apart to put in new parts down the road, if I can do it now. Nothing other than replacing stock internals has been done to my car yet. I had originally planned on starting my mods with a CAI and Exhaust system, which I still plan on having done, but what can I have done to the internals of the engine at the moment? I've learned a lot from the site in regards to parts and what they do, yet I know realistically nothing of locations and ease of installment of parts. If they will already have access to that area of the engine and the surrounds, what would some good internals modifications to have done? Do they have to completely drop out the engine (allowing access to everything) to replace a manifold, or will they only be able to reach certain things?

Also, he said that due to the rush of shipping around Christmas, and how long it would take him to order parts, I should probably wait till the first of the new year to have it done. On the plus side, it gives me half a month to save a bit more, and get some parts ordered. So, while I've got the time and hopefully money, any suggestions?

Thanks, I appreciate it. No one around my home town knows enough about F-Bodies to be of much help :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
im not positive if the Alu. heads are like the iron heads but alot of impala/caprice LT1's have problems with breaking the manifold bolts closest to the firewall. instead of fixing the actual problem they put headers on. the headers have a slightly different bolt pattern and dont use the bolt that usually break on them.

either way id look into getting the headers. find out what bolts are broken off and compare that to the header bolt pattern. you may not even need to get those broken bolts removed from the head-saving yourself some money

·
Registered
52 Posts
sleeperSS said:
im not positive if the Alu. heads are like the iron heads but alot of impala/caprice LT1's have problems with breaking the manifold bolts closest to the firewall. instead of fixing the actual problem they put headers on. the headers have a slightly different bolt pattern and dont use the bolt that usually break on them.

either way id look into getting the headers. find out what bolts are broken off and compare that to the header bolt pattern. you may not even need to get those broken bolts removed from the head-saving yourself some money
I've never seen the bolt pattern be different from a manifold to a header, as the bolt pattern on the head does not change when swaping them. Unless there is something I am missing... I mean maybe the holes on the new header are slightly larger or something to aid in expansion I can believe that..

I totally agree on the headers though, if the manifold has to come off why not do the headers then?

just my .02
-=Rick

·
Registered
358 Posts
RickAnthony said:
I've never seen the bolt pattern be different from a manifold to a header, as the bolt pattern on the head does not change when swaping them. Unless there is something I am missing... I mean maybe the holes on the new header are slightly larger or something to aid in expansion I can believe that..

I totally agree on the headers though, if the manifold has to come off why not do the headers then?

just my .02
-=Rick
i know on the iron heads there are two rear (firewall side) bolt holes in the head giving 2 mounting options in that spot. most header options (for impala's) use the other hole than the manifolds use

·
Registered
52 Posts
sleeperSS said:
i know on the iron heads there are two rear (firewall side) bolt holes in the head giving 2 mounting options in that spot. most header options (for impala's) use the other hole than the manifolds use
Interesting, I never seen that, not disputing it I just never have had one and looked at before and saw that.
-=Rick

·
Registered
358 Posts
RickAnthony said:
Interesting, I never seen that, not disputing it I just never have had one and looked at before and saw that.
-=Rick
i tried to get you some proof but the impala board is down this weekend (changing servers). i'll back my statements up why the info is available again :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll back sleeperSS up. My 96 impala SS had the infamous leaking exhaust manifolds also. It turned out to be a broken bolt on each head at the rear. All the headers for these car use different bolt holes back there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cool, I am just curious to see it again I'm not in disbelief I just never looked at one before I guess. Never had to do headers on an impala yet.
-=Rick

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
That's actually pretty common. Most Gen I small block heads have the extra bolt...on one side its in the rear and on the other its at the front, since there's only 1 head casting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said, I know a bit about all the parts and what they do, but I know nothing of locations or installations. If the manifold has to come off anyway, it wouldn't make sense to do anything but headers. I wasn't sure what was in the direct area of the manifold that could be swapped out, glad to have that little bit of extra knowledge for now. Thanks

Guess I'll do some shoppin tonight. Guess that makes it a good time to start looking at some exhaust systems too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im sure I will be able to find a good set of LTs before the new year and have them by then, but my only concern is, how safe is my car right now?

AdioSS, you said you had the same problem, how fast was your fixed? It worries me to think of broken bolts potentially flying around in my engine bay, and the noise the exhaust gives off in this cold weather is just horribly loud at times. Other than feeling silly revving at stop lights :p should I be pushing to get these LTs sooner, and find another shop to work, or am I ok driving around like this? Im hoping nothing serious can happen if I take it easy till I get the parts replaced.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Drive with the window cracked (dont poison yourself with the heat on and no ventilation). Dont worry about bolts flying around, im sure there already gone, lol.

alot of impala guys take the manifold off and spot weld a nut to the remaining stud, but they have a ton more room to work than you f-body guys. I still cant imagine the work taking anymore than a day by a reputable mechanic IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice. I was told earlier by a friend riding with me when we got out, that he could smell my exhaust from a ways back afterwards. I guess my cold, and being around the car all the time, made me not notice it at first. Ive had to use the heat a whole lot lately so I'll remember that. Plus the car was shaking pretty bad tonight, I'm hoping thats just the manifold for some reason. Just my luck it would be a new problem though. Either way, its making me want to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

The guy I talked to at the shop told me it would take a good number of hours, probably at least 5+. Thinking of the labor per hour makes me shudder, but it has to be done. Wish I knew someone who knew what they were doing though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts