LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: Car died. Replaced opti with an MSD unit, coil MSD unit as well and AC Delco ICM. Thought that was the problem. Well it was I guess I had a misfire at high rpms and stupid idle.

Anyway, replaced all that, and as odd as this might sound.....

My car now will not turn on with the water pump on the engine.

Water pump on the engine: Crank and crank, but no fire.
No Water Pump on the engine: Fires up asap even through straight throttle body with out elbow, CAI, belt, or sensors such as MAF, IAC, etc.

Can anyone explain why? I'm thrown off.

And it's as soon as I put on the water pump. I can have one bolt on it, if the sleeve is on the gear attached to the engine, it won't fire up. I tried flipping the sleeve over too and it didn't make a difference.

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
Are you squishing any wiring when you install water pump? That's about the only way I can see water pump causing engine not to fire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'm dead serious... if it's on there, It won't fire. Even if it's not bolted or if the sleeve isn't present. Not squishing anywires. It's absurd.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well I think the very much respected Shoebox is stumped on this as well. Have you tried installing the WP without the sleeve? And does your WP shaft freely spin? Are you sure your not pullin our chain?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I noticed. Shoebox usually has some advice and/or a suggestion but unfortunately not this time. I'm as serious as a shark attack man! April fools is only on the first rather than the whole month, LOL.

Okay well I don't believe it's actually due to the sleeve and gears since I've tried earlier with out the sleeve and still no go. So I'm assuming it has something to do with "contact." I upgraded to an MSD distributor and it's a tad bit larger than the original POS unit it had. But I'm as stumped as you guys are. This car is a major headache.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There might be a bare wire, poor ground etc. The WP shouldn't touch the option. Check all sensors nearby. Take anything out of the equation you can and verify everything is good. Then try again. I dunno

·
Registered
277 Posts
I Wounder if the temp sensor is faulty in the hot position making computer shut down due to thinking overheat ? Just throwing something out there . Not sure if that is a computer response on the firebird now that our new denali does that .

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I Wounder if the temp sensor is faulty in the hot position making computer shut down due to thinking overheat ? Just throwing something out there . Not sure if that is a computer response on the firebird now that our new denali does that .
Our computers don't do that. There would be a trouble code if the temp sensor was drastically out of range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts