LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
drove it all day yesterday on the back roads with my buddies drove just fine, probaly put 200 miles on it. I woke up this morning and drove 10miles to kmart again drove just fine. got out of kmart 15mins later got in the car started up then shortly after died, immediately the same thing happened, however i was able to keep it running by hitting the gas alil. i started to drive home and while driving 45mph the car started dying on me, went to about 200rpm it smashed the gas and the car literally woke back up and started running fine. i got it to my house left her running and opened the hood for about 15mins messing with the throttle and letting it idle. I could not make it die or even drop RPM of course.

sounds to me like a fuel related issue, the guy i bought it from said the FPR was going bad but i cant find a damn thing wrong with it. No smells of gas, no leaking etc. I have a Fuel filter, fuel line (mine is messed up on the back of the fuel filter) spark plugs, FPR all on there way oddly enough i ordered all this prior to it dying on me. (got the car from a buddy he's always poor and never up keeps the vehicles luckly he didn't have this one for long)

The only thing ive changed prior to driving yesturday was i removed the screen from the MAF being careful not to touch the wires. and after driving for 200 miles yesturday without any probaly i can't imagine this being the problem.

Basically im asking if anyone has had a similiar probaly to this? if so what was the problem?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
740 Posts
How does the intake tubing look, and PCV valve functioning?
Maybe you sucked some oil in the motor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does the intake tubing look, and PCV valve functioning?
Maybe you sucked some oil in the motor.
intake tube is clean, upper part bewteen the MAF and TB is hot as heck but still clean. how can i tell if the pcv valve is working?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ive heard that removing the MAF screen can cause probs its not worth messing with if u can put the screen back unless u went wild with a screw driver and it does sound like fuel pump relay or fuel pump itself.
Also another culprit could be a leak around the intake manifold or throttle body gasket.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Idk how to check and see if its working but it'd be good to take the pcv off and clean it good.

·
Registered
620 Posts
But what u did describe about what happened this morning how u took it out for 15 minutes and then it started trying to die id say off that MAF.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But what u did describe about what happened this morning how u took it out for 15 minutes and then it started trying to die id say off that MAF.
yeah i probaly am gunna put the screen back on i guess that would be the easiest test

·
Registered
620 Posts
In my most humblest opinion possible i think thats a fine place to start bro. I think youd gain MAYBE 1-2 horsepower without that MAF. And your not gonna be able to feel that at all. Goodluck to ya! Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my most humblest opinion possible i think thats a fine place to start bro. I think youd gain MAYBE 1-2 horsepower without that MAF. And your not gonna be able to feel that at all. Goodluck to ya! Let us know what happens.
i put the screen back in earlier and it started up fine and drove fine, however this same thing happened before prior to changing out the alternator, oil change (desperately needed), oil filter, tranny fluid etc. and all that "seemed" to fix it iono just every once in awhile the cars like F*** YOU! and i kinda just gotta take it lol

tomorrow my soon to be g/f gets back from Georgia and were gunna go on a cruise, hopefully everything goes well. Ive been trying to get with her for abit now and i think tomorrow i can seal the deal, been texting me and calling me alot telling me she misses me :) anywho, enough with the gushy stuff on the MANILY CAR SITE. hopefully tomorrow will go well and Oscar wont leave us stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hahaha!!!!! Have faith in oscar dude!!!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahaha!!!!! Have faith in oscar dude!!!!! Good luck!
well i put my faith in doinga tune up but no need that girl isn't getting back for another hour or so but she is stopping by her house getting her work clothes and staying with me tonight, so running car or not, im WINNING :)

any who started a new post with a few different questions im pretty sure the desprate need of a tune up was the problem here

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yea if ur car has old spark plugs, old oil, a dirty as me after work air filter, then ya lol it needs a tune up:)
Good job on the win win man.
Is it runnin right yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea if ur car has old spark plugs, old oil, a dirty as me after work air filter, then ya lol it needs a tune up:)
Good job on the win win man.
Is it runnin right yet?
it got dark to soon last night imma finish up today i had a short training day so imma go do #2,4,6 replaces the FPR radiator and fuel filter and see how it goes

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I too have heard removing that screen causes nothing but problems. Were there any trouble codes? Have fun on your cruise. Went on my first one last year to Bahamas. Hope you're not going on a carnival ship, they been having nothing but problems this year. 3 ships already!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I too have heard removing that screen causes nothing but problems. Were there any trouble codes? Have fun on your cruise. Went on my first one last year to Bahamas. Hope you're not going on a carnival ship, they been having nothing but problems this year. 3 ships already!
oh na not that kinda cruise, we just drive just take off in a direction and go, might end up getting a hotel room, might end up staying a weekend, who knows lol but yeah the plugs were deff fouling out, imma change out the fuel pressure reg, and check plugs after a few miles of driving.

is there anything else on these motors that could cause the spark plugs to be fouled out? the plugs are deff old so imma change wires here soon as well as the coil and cap/rotor. I think thats gunna cure the problem, you can tell this car prior to my buddy was owned by a young guy/girl who didnt care about there car. Alice, my 94 cherokee, gets a walk thru after every time i go off-roading hard or take her on a long trip. just visual nothing serious but to make sure no sensors are caked in mud or wires got torn etc. and oil changes /tune ups are a well kept thing. guess not many other people care about keeping a car rather just buy and sell when something messes up. personally i like being debt free and only having maybe a $50 car payment bc you didn't have ALL the money up front :thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Heck ya dude! And tbh with u, i only run 93 octane gas in my car. I have a 95 trans am.
And i change the oil every 1,500 miles, no lie every once a month im under her changin the oil.
I drive my car EVERYDAY lol and she runs so beautifully. If ur nice to ur car, itll reward you:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts