LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, i am getting ready to place this order for a transmission for my 95 TA....Can you take a look and see what you think and recommend any changes?:frown2:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Where are the rest of the parts...? That is a pretty sparse list! This is a very typical "box" build that most "transmission shops" will give you. They don't even scratch the surface of a proper build.

There are no sprags, no sun shell, no 7 disc 3-4, no 3-4 apply and backing plates, no solenoids, no bushings, no accumulator pistons, no steel piston upgrades.......

And I would absolutely NOT use a Transgo kit. You don't need a shift kit to make a 60 shift well.

I'd also be a bit skeptical of a $250 2800 rpm converter...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this stuff drives me crazy, and I'm trying to save you a bit of heartache as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are the rest of the parts...? That is a pretty sparse list! This is a very typical "box" build that most "transmission shops" will give you. They don't even scratch the surface of a proper build.

There are no sprags, no sun shell, no 7 disc 3-4, no 3-4 apply and backing plates, no solenoids, no bushings, no accumulator pistons, no steel piston upgrades.......

And I would absolutely NOT use a Transgo kit. You don't need a shift kit to make a 60 shift well.

I'd also be a bit skeptical of a $250 2800 rpm converter...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this stuff drives me crazy, and I'm trying to save you a bit of heartache as well.

I will message him now and see if this is the list or if he has a more comprehensive list...I do:frown2: appreciate your input sir, i have had enough of a headache already lol....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will message him now and see if this is the list or if he has a more comprehensive list...I do:frown2: appreciate your input sir, i have had enough of a headache already lol....
Here is the response i got...."Ohh yeah! Solenoids and bushings all come with the OH kit, its a zpack 3-4, accumulator and piston upgrades come with the upgrade kit. My office guy just dont know much about what goes in the builds he just knows how to write up the paper work lol"

·
Global Moderator
12,935 Posts
Sounds like bull S**t to me. There's no way a $100 kit is going to have all the parts you need to have a good reliable build on a 4l60e.
Just the parts for trans will cost $500 or more.

Why don't you ask dynamic396 what he would charge to rebuild your trans the right way + shipping to you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like bull S**t to me. There's no way a $100 kit is going to have all the parts you need to have a good reliable build on a 4l60e.
Just the parts for trans will cost $500 or more.

Why don't you ask dynamic396 what he would charge to rebuild your trans the right way + shipping to you.
cocobolo95, thats kind of what i was thinking also...Any idea what dynamic may charge to rebuild it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Guys, i am getting ready to place this order for a transmission for my 95 TA....Can you take a look and see what you think and recommend any changes?:frown2:
I agree with Dynamic.....this is a stock rebuild with a junk converter and you're paying too much.....hell, they don't even have the price of the unit itself. Are you having to supply a core? Personally, looking just at that sheet.....I'm not trusting this.

Have you priced the cost of a rebuild in your area?

It was a few years back, but I paid about $900 for a rebuild.....that included removal, reinstallation and road test.

IJS....

KW

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have several different build packages for the 4L60E, depending upon the application. I'll shoot you a PM with information if you're interested. If nothing else, it can give you an idea of what's necessary for a well-built 60E.

The parts (or lack thereof) that I'm seeing listed from the shop that yours is at is actually pretty typical of a "transmission shop". Most shops don't know any one transmission better than another. They order a "rebuild kit" and a "shift kit" and put it together. They don't have any setups of their own, and none of what they do is based on much experience. They just throw parts at them and hope they stick (hence the Z-Pak...you don't want a Z-Pak). And, no... There's no way on God's green earth that all of that stuff is included in a $100 "upgrade package".

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Dynamic.....this is a stock rebuild with a junk converter and you're paying too much.....hell, they don't even have the price of the unit itself. Are you having to supply a core? Personally, looking just at that sheet.....I'm not trusting this.

Have you priced the cost of a rebuild in your area?

It was a few years back, but I paid about $900 for a rebuild.....that included removal, reinstallation and road test.

IJS....

KW
I have contacted the 2 most popular rebuilders in my local are and both said $1600 to $1800 for removal, rebuild and install...How does this sound?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have several different build packages for the 4L60E, depending upon the application. I'll shoot you a PM with information if you're interested. If nothing else, it can give you an idea of what's necessary for a well-built 60E.

The parts (or lack thereof) that I'm seeing listed from the shop that yours is at is actually pretty typical of a "transmission shop". Most shops don't know any one transmission better than another. They order a "rebuild kit" and a "shift kit" and put it together. They don't have any setups of their own, and none of what they do is based on much experience. They just throw parts at them and hope they stick (hence the Z-Pak...you don't want a Z-Pak). And, no... There's no way on God's green earth that all of that stuff is included in a $100 "upgrade package".
Thanks Dynamic, and please do PM me sir, I am interested!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does this list look any better to you guys?.....Thanks!
=======================================================
Remanfactured 4L60E Automatic Transmission for
BUICK ROADMASTER 1995 5.7L - 2WD
CADILLAC FLEETWOOD 1995 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET ASTRO 1995 4.3L - 2WD
CHEVROLET G10 (VAN) 1995 4.3L / 5.0L - 2WD
CHEVROLET G20 (VAN) 1995 4.3L / 5.0L / 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET BLAZER 1995 4.3L - 2WD
CHEVROLET S10 1995 4.3L - 2WD
CHEVROLET C1500 1995 4.3L / 5.0L / 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET C1500 SUBURBAN 1995 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 1500 1995 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET CAMARO 1995 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET CAPRICE 1995 4.3L / 5.0L / 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET IMPALA 1995 5.7L - 2WD
CHEVROLET TAHOE 1995 5.7L - 2WD
GMC C1500 1995 4.3L / 5.0L / 5.7L - 2WD
GMC C1500 SUBURBAN 1995 5.7L - 2WD
GMC JIMMY 1995 4.3L - 2WD
GMC SAVANA 1995 4.3L - 2WD
GMC SONOMA 1995 - 2WD
GMC YUKON 1995 5.7L - 2WD
OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA 1995 4.3L - 2WD
PONTIAC FIREBIRD 1995 5.7L - 2WD

Information about the Transmission
Parts List:
All New Gaskets, Seals Metal Clad Seals, Sealing Rings, Paper and Rubber NOTHING REUSED!
New Alto 9 Clutch 3/4 Stack up
5 - New Borg Warner Low/Reverse Clutches
4 - New Borg Warner Reverse Input Clutches
5 - New Borg Warner Forward Clutches
2 - New Borg Warner Overrun Clutches
New Borg Warner High Energy 2-4 Band
Late model 3/4 Clutch One Piece Apply Plate
New Teflon Pump Bushing
New Teflon Extension Housing Bushing
New Bronze Front and Rear Stator Bushings
New Bronze Case Bushing
New Thrust Washers
New Pump Vanes
New Pump Guide
New Hardened Pump Rings
New Hardened Spline Sun Shell
New Borg Warner Low/Reverse (Late Model) Sprag
New or Remanufactured Solenoids
New Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve
New Reverse Input Capsule
New Aluminum 1-2 Accumulator Piston
New Aluminum 3-4 Accumulator Piston
New Bonded Pistons
New TransGo Zinc Coated Separator Plate
Extreme Tolerance GM Front and Rear Planets
Updates to the Transmission:
Updated TCC Regulator Valve
Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve #77754-04K/77754-03K depending on application, which requires a special reaming tool, that re-bores worn out aluminum 4L60E valve bodies which is an issue when time for a rebuild, and allows installation of this special high quality valve and sleeve, that lists for $50.00 dollars alone. This problem is the NUMBER ONE most overlooked issue by other rebuilders. One indicator of this issue is the P1870 Code. If this valve is not installed, even after a rebuild transmission can become overheated and as a result can burn up quickly do to torque converter slippage, caused by the badly worn valve body casting in the converter clutch regulator valve bore.
Updated Sun Shell
We use hardened spline sun shell helps prevent stripping of where the sun shell splines on to the rear sun gear, which is a very common issue with the OEM (GM) Shell.
Updated Accumulator Pistons
We use aluminum accumulator pistons versus original plastic pistons, or worn leaking OEM type pistons
Updated 3/4 Clutch Pack
We use Alto 9 Clutch 3/4 stack up (The 3/4 Clutch pack is one of the biggest weak spots of the this transmission, this 3/4 stack up allows the load to be to better distributed on the increased clutch apply area of the 9 clutches instead of the 6 clutches OEM);
Reverse Input Capsule
Helps reduce premature failure in the Reverse Input Clutch.

Warranty:
This transmission comes with a 1 Year 36,000 Mile Warranty with the purchase of a new torque converter. We offer an extended Warranty 2 Year 50,000 Mile Warranty, or a 3 Year 100,000 Mile Warranty for an additional charge.
Core Information:
Buyer is required to swap a GOOD core for this trans otherwise there will be a $300 core charge in addition to the above price. Core must NOT have any case damage, otherwise there will be additional charges for the damage.
Torque Converters:
We also have Recon Brand Remanufactured Torque Converters available for $150 for OEM stall speed (GM33 for the all)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have contacted the 2 most popular rebuilders in my local are and both said $1600 to $1800 for removal, rebuild and install...How does this sound?
$1600 today for a rebuild that includes R&R? I'd say that's not bad at all, especially if they offer a 2-year wartantee.

Hell.....even a 1-year warrantee would be good. If you know of others who have had good luck with their rebuilds.....this may be the way to go.

Just keep in mind that this is likely a stock(ish) rebuild versus a performance rebuild.

KW

·
Global Moderator
12,935 Posts
The 9 disc 3/4 clutch sounds good but to get all those extra clutches in there the steel plates must be made thinner. So the steel plates between clutch discs can warp from heat.

I'd ask dynamic396 about the build from that company. I imagine he would give you a better deal on the trans. It would be on shipping from Washington state to WV that would cost more.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
PM sent...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The 9 disc 3/4 clutch sounds good but to get all those extra clutches in there the steel plates must be made thinner. So the steel plates between clutch discs can warp from heat..
Yeah, the Alto 9 disc is worse than the Z-Pak (which is pretty bad...and expensive!)! Super thin frictions and steels, plus a thin, super-cheesy mild steel backing plate. A terrible product for the 4L60E/700R4...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts