LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 formula, it is currently throwing a code 27, and 32. the code 32 i understand what it is but the 27 is :ECM detected the wrong potential voltage at the #3 quad-driver module circuit for 3 seconds: what the hell does that mean? please explain, new to gm products

·
Registered
386 Posts
Found on the net:

The quad driver is an integrated circuit in the PCM that turns actuators on and off. It is also a safety valve for the electric current in those control circuits. When the quad driver is overheated because of an electrical short in one of those circuits it shuts down the circuit and sends a signal to the main processor in the PCM to illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( Service engine soon, or Check engine light). It is designed to help prevent PCM failures caused by shorted solenoids, actuators or wiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, can anyone specifically tell me what it controls? is it harmful to drive it like this, and how can i diagnose/repair the issue? im not the greatest with electronics. thanks in advance

·
Registered
772 Posts
Where did you get this information about DTC 27 being for the quad driver module? According to the 94 service manual, DTC 27 indicates a fault with the EGR valve solenoid electrical circuit, probably a defective connector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a code reader, code 32 is egr electrical fault, code 27 is ECM detected the wrong potential voltage at the #3 quad-driver module circuit for 3 seconds, i am throwing code 32, but also 27.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i guess they probably are related then they both have to do with the egr i just wish i could understand what that page is actually trying to tell me, im not good with diagrams like that. im gonna check all the connectors tomorrow. will either code 32, or 27 hurt performance or longevity of the engine? any suggestions on further diagnosis/repair of the issue?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I will try to explain it more simply. DTC 32 means that the EGR valve is not performing as expected as far as it's intended function which is to bring exhaust gases into the intake. DTC 27 means there is an electrical problem with the solenoid that controls the valve. The electrical fault with the solenoid is causing the problem with the valve. Fix the DTC 27 fault and the DTC 32 will be fixed as well. The EGR solenoid is on top of the engine on the driver side almost all the way back toward the rear. You only need to check the one connector and wires on that solenoid. See this photo for the location:

By the way, the description of DTC 27 as a driver fault is found in the 93 service manual. Perhaps you selected the wrong year or your scantool is reporting 93 code descriptions instead of 94.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks thats very helpful exactly what i needed to know. sry sometimes i cant grasp things when i read them the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts