LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the internal parts from a two piece 4l60e into a one piece 4l60e? The vehicle is a 1995 Caprice LT1 engine (old cop car). It has the original transmision, rebuilt by GM. The donor tranny is a two piece 4wd tranny a friend has. The original tranny code is 5 TAD 121C and the donor code is 6 TAD 268W. I am planning on transferring all the clutch packs, planetaries, etc. except the output shaft, I will have to use the 2wd output shaft, to his case. Keeping his valve body, electronics,etc. This is my 17 year old son's car and he is a little rough on it. I can't afford a rebuilt one right now :craz28: Thanks- Sherri

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
There are parts that will swap from one year to another, but you have to know what they are. You can't just change everything and hope for the best.

Members, dynamic396 or cahall would know which parts can be used and which can't. Try a pm to one or both.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes, you can swap those particular parts. You'll need to pay close attention to the end play when you're done (which you should be doing anyway...) because you're taking the gear train from one case and putting it into another. There are minor variations...

As long as you keep the original electronics, you'll be fine. The '95's were unique to '95 electronically. It was the first year of the PWM torque converter, which added the PWM solenoid to the valve body. Then in '96 they changed the 3-2 downshift strategy and subsequently the 3-2 downshift solenoid was different as well.

I'd also freshen everything up in there (and address the weak spots) while you've got it all on the bench.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay- I think I can do that. Is the tranny with the code 6 TAD 268W a 1996? Or a 2006? I just want to get this thing moving long enough for him to get a job and buy a good one!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Should be a '96. Most likely out of an S-10 if it's a '96 4x4 with a 2-piece case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cool- dude said it came from an S10 but he didn't know what year. Thanks for the info- I think I will pull apart the old one and see what destruction has taken place!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I got the tranny apart- everything seems to be good in there, no broken parts, clutches ok. The original symptom was a "miss" under acceleration when it got up in rpm's, then it just stopped moving. No forward or reverse. Didn't make any bad noises. Just stopped at a redlight and never moved again! Park engages. Fluid looks good.
Could I have a bad torque converter? How about the TC lock-up solenoid?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Did you pull the pump apart?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dynamic 396- yep, when I went back out to work on it, I pulled her apart, and the pump was busted! Good call. I swapped out the entire inside, end play was good, everything fit nicely. Only problem I had was getting the new pump into my housing, had to resize the teflon o rings, then it went good. The donor tranny was a recent rebuild out of a place in Montana, said "Dyno-tested" on it and it came out of a four cylinder S-10- how bad could it be :thumbsup: LOL I know it's not a textbook fix, but when you got twin 17 year old boys, gotta do what you gotta do!
Thanks for your input, got me over my fear of trying.:LS1LT1flag:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
There you go... Broken pump rotor. That's where I was trying to take you...! Nice job.

You've got a Hanser's transmission out of Billings, most likely. I see a LOT of their Dodge diesel transmissions come across my bench. They don't seem to be able to get the setup right on those... Oh well, I'm happy to just keep building them...correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the guys! Yep- good business for you- from what I hear those Dodges are hard to get right, keep up the good work :) Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts