LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 LT1 with T56 Six Speed. I am wanted to purchase an LS1 and bolt it up to my LT1 T56. I've heard you can't do this because the bell housing bolt patterns are different on the engine blocks. There's gotta be a way to do this. Anyone have any suggestion?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Its true, the bellhousings are different and so are the clutch hydraulics.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Sell your LT1 transmission and buy a complete LS1 and tranny. Might be a PITA but I promise it will be less work than trying to adapt the LT1 trans to the LS1 block.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rumor has it that the early LS1's, such as 97,98, and 99 aren't that great. Is this true? If so, what are the problems with them? Also, Do you know of a better place than ebaymotors.com for LS1 engine set ups?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
You might want to ask a separete question in the LS1 section. While I wouldn't say they "aren't that great", they're not as good as the later motors but they're certainly better than any LT1.

Rod bolts are not as strong and I think the rings were improved on the later motors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what lift is the cam on your lt1? Do you recommend that cam? Also, would I be just fine having my stock head ported and polished, or should I purchase aftermarket? What gas mileage are you getting with your set up?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Lift is .500/.510 with 1.5 rockers or .533/544 with 1.6 rockers. Me recommending it depends on your goals with your car.

Same answer for your second question. Stock heads can be ported and support up to 400rwhp with the right cam. Want much more than that and you'll have to get aftermarket castings.

As for MPG I really do not know as the car has only about 3000 miles on it this year with the M6. With the Automatic and 3.73s it did 22mpg to Atlanta last year, if that tells you anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts