LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend got in an argument back home about cams. Although i believe in doing my car the right way , my stance was that if you put in a cam and no converter no damage will occur you just wont get the full power potential out of the cam. He said you would tear up a tranny and rear etc. Whos right?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
No damage. You'll tear the tranny up faster with the extra power, though. Rears tend to last a lot longer in autos, anyway.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the way ive heard it is; your not going to damage anything due to not have a high stall converter, now lets say you put in a big cam with very little low end power and using the stock converter your just gonna putt down the road untill you get enough momentum to let the engine rev up into the power band, at which point then your gonna rip down the road

the only way i see you tearing stuff up is by the extra power made, and anyone who is into racing would know, when you start making more power than what some componets were not designed to handle, things break

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah i no the bigger power results in break believe you me i have broken 3 transmissions and one rear end in the old car. But i could not get him to see it my way.

·
Registered
612 Posts
the only thing a higher stall does is allow you to get into the powerband quicker. the cam is what breaks stuff, not the stall

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But really, i realize that the more power gained from the cam is what tears it up because im guilty of tearing up a couple stockers myself. But the base of the argument came from that im doing my cam swap. And i wont have my verter right in but i also wont be running my car except the drive down the road to give a hear of the cam to my freinds and thats it no hard runs no track just run down to the hang out spot grab a coke come home. And he said havign a new cam and no verter will tear you up. I said no because your not running the new power your putting down the road so although you gain the hosepower your not using it to its full powerband potential. He was trying to tell me regardless if you dont have a stall to accomodate your new powerband dogging the car or not your start losing things.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Running on the stocker for only a little while won't do any harm. The car will be an absolute dog out of the hole, but you'll be fine.

Now if you were going to leave the stock verter in there for a while then you may mess some stuff up.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Your friend is retarded. Nothing wrong w/ running on a stock converter. Everything has been covered. It won't get to full power potential til further down the track as said, but its not going to have any issues.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Chris hit it on the head.

Just like I said earlier - no damage.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
The converter is not going to do anything to stop damage to the tranny.

The problem with a big cam on the stock converter is you can't bring idle speed up enough to make the motor stable w/o running into the brake-stall speed of the converter.

Good luck holding the car still in gear at a stoplight.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
The converter is not going to do anything to stop damage to the tranny.

The problem with a big cam on the stock converter is you can't bring idle speed up enough to make the motor stable w/o running into the brake-stall speed of the converter.

Good luck holding the car still in gear at a stoplight.
Mine held fine w/ that stocker and that 227/233 on the 112lsa for as long as the stocker was in there. Yeah it takes a little more brakes, but nothing that killed my leg or anything. Where it gets hairy is if you end up w/ a little surge due to timing and fuel!!! That was fun as a few lights!!!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Sure but personally I wouldnt' be able to stand shifting into neutral at every damn stop.

IMO that's just a hilljack way to get around doing it the right way.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
I didn't shift into neutral...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts