LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems the dowel pin for my new cam is too short. It just protrudes far enough to come flush with the end of the cam gear and leaves nothing to drive the opti. The dowel is much shorter than stock. Any idea how I can remove this dowel and get a longer one pressed in?

I also noticed there is a small amount of horizontal play (parallel with the crank axis) of 0.057" in the cam after the retainer is installed, is this normal?

I put the stock cam back in and it only walks 0.015". Something doesn't seem right.

·
Global Moderator
13,064 Posts
You need to consult proper year service manual for your car. It will tell you how much end play is considered normal. Usually the spec will list a range that cam should be in. Service manuals at www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Now I must ask you if cam you bought was made specifically for 95-97 lt1 engine? If you put a regular SBC cam into engine that might explain the trouble your having with end play. Also if cam was for 92-94 lt1, it would have a short dowel pin as opti for those years had a spline drive.

You should contact dealer you bought cam from or cam manufacturer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cam was custom ground by Lunati through Lloyd Elliott. I contacted Lunati and they said the made a mistake with the dowel and sent me a new one. Lunati also said the end play was not an issue. The service manual lists end play

End Play ............................................... 0.11 - 0.30 mm (0.004 - 0.012")

It's all together, I hope Lunati is correct and the endplay is a non issue. Lloyd Elliott said he's never measured the end play before. It really cannot go anywhere with the retainer bolted on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts