LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 formula with a bad wheel bearing i am trying to replace. I cannot remove the c clip from the axle because the axle will not quite go in far enough for the clip to clear. I have removed the abs sensor but the c clip will not clear the clutch plate assembly. It is sooooo close but not releasing. I will try to brass hammer the axle farther in and try to knock out clip with needle nose or wrench but i have very little room with the clutch assembly.

Is there any way to shift the differential or plates?

Any suggestions?

Soooo frustrating.

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
Did you remove the bolt that holds pinion shaft in. The bolt, & shaft need to come out before c-clip will come out.

I also remove pinion gears and their shims to prevent losing them. And I mark which one goes where for re assembly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. Can i remove gears without axle clip removed?

I really appreciate your help

·
Registered
214 Posts
There may be a shim behind the backing plate, sandwiched between the backing plate and the flange of the axle tube. On my car, the shim is a two piece unit. Took me a while to figure out why I could not get the axle shafts moved-in far enough either. Removed shims and they popped right out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brass hammer baby! My buddy tapped the axle in until the cip came free of the original looking bearing. Thanks for help accross forums.

Axle is deeply grooved by seal. Should i replace axle? Repair bearing?

I could not understand or perhaps find the shims you mentioned.

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
Or machine shop might be able to fit a repair sleeve so grooves are gone. They do this for crankshafts, so I'm thinking they can for axle shafts also.

The old school way of repairing axle was to weld up the bad spot on axle, then turn it down to spec on a lathe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or machine shop might be able to fit a repair sleeve so grooves are gone. They do this for crankshafts, so I'm thinking they can for axle shafts also.

The old school way of repairing axle was to weld up the bad spot on axle, then turn it down to spec on a lathe.
The cheap bastard in me wants to follow that path and get on the road quick and cheaply. The wiser me wonders if the axles were short and beat up because they were twisted and should be replaced. It is depressing a bit. I have a 97 z28 with no engine installed. A 95 firebird with bad axles and a 64 grumman kurbside with a sbc 400 pieced out a basket.

Driving my 91 corolla dog kennel is motivation to fix things. Ill have money for axles in a couple weeks.

Hey at least im not in florida right?:) Too soon?

P.s. the z28 has 3 channel abs and the firebird has 4 or i would have probably snatched those axles yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts