LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a .030 over 350 2-bolt block, which looks like some relief notches have been made for building a 383. I intend to do just that. Being that it is a 2-bolt block, I want to target about 300-350 hp, with as much torque as I can build in the lower rpms. I'll be building it myself with the help of a mechanic friend who, to put it mildly, knows what he's doing in this area. He doesn't have the time to help me select components, but I figured you guys could do that! let's get the ideas flowing!

So far I'm thinking balanced rotating assembly with cast crank to get it up to short-block stage... after that I'm a little lost

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have built a ton of Vortec 383's for the late 90's Chevy trucks. Here is the "recipe" that I use in the trucks.

Good 3.75" crank (cast is fine - I prefer Scat)
5.7" I-beam rods (again, Scat)
Good set of hypereutectic 4.030" pistons (I use coated Speed Pros)
Vortec 062 heads with stainless valves (1.94"/1.50"), screw-in studs, LS6 springs w/Comp 787 retainers
I use a custom grind cam I spec'd a few years back specifically for the 383 with Vortec heads in a truck application (hydraulic roller, 208/218 @ .050", .480"/.495" w/1.5's, 110 LSA, installed at 108 ICL)
Comp 1.5:1 roller tip rockers
Good single roller timing set

Set the pistons .014" down and use a .026" Victor head gasket.
This will set up at about 9.8-9.9:1 compression.
Works great with the stock Vortec injection and PCM. You may want to bump the fuel pressure a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Works great with the stock Vortec injection and PCM. You may want to bump the fuel pressure a bit.
I may be missing something, but I don't see anything about this going into a Vortec truck.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I may be missing something, but I don't see anything about this going into a Vortec truck.
I don't know if you're missing something or not, but he doesn't state anything to the contrary, either... I just figured that on the chance that he, or anyone else, WAS building a 383 for a Vortec application, this would be nice information for them to have.

Sorry to bother you with excessive information. You can rest assured that it won't happen again...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
:lol: Yeah, only answer exactly what you were asked.
Additional information is completely in called for.:twak:

·
Registered
188 Posts
it really don't matter.. either way, good chance this combo would run very well with a good dual plane vortec intake and carb too... sounds like it would be a reasonably priced build and make great useable power for a truck..

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
:lol: Yeah, only answer exactly what you were asked.
Additional information is completely in called for.:twak:
Okay, "After you get the 383 built, put an LQ9 in it!"

Obviously, "additional information" is a slippery slope.

So are assumptions. The recommendations you may make assuming a stock Vortec induction could be very different if you knew the OP was planning something else.

I wasn't so much bashing the response as I was hoping the OP would provide more information.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That setup will run great in either configuration, both with a dual plane/properly sized carburetor, or the factory Vortec fuel system.

Oh, and I would run this 383 setup against an LQ9, in a truck application, any day of the week. The 6 liters are pretty anemic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The OP specifically asked about a first gen v-8 since he already has the block. That vortec headed combo will be a good torquey engine for whatever he wants to put it in. Yes LQ and LS engines are newer technology but some guys like to work with what the have.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
That setup will run great in either configuration, both with a dual plane/properly sized carburetor, or the factory Vortec fuel system.

Oh, and I would run this 383 setup against an LQ9, in a truck application, any day of the week. The 6 liters are pretty anemic.
I'll bite, and I'll make an assumption. The LQ comment was comparing a modded and tuned 383 to a stock LQ. Now let's make the comparison a little more apples to apples. Drop a cam in the LQ and use L92 heads/intake, add the common bolt ons, and give it a good tune. It should be in the 450-470 hp and 430-440 lb/ft range at the WHEELS. That's with a stock short block. Compare that to a ZZ383 with a 222/230 grind that only makes 425 hp and 460 lb/ft at the FLYWHEEL. I'll be generous and figure an 18% power loss for the drivetrain since trucks are generally autos. The ZZ383 would only make 349hp and 391 lb/ft at the wheels. From a quick search, people are actually making less with over 20% losses. Those numbers are cam only Lm7 (5.3L) hp range and cam only ls1 (5.7L) range for the torque.

Back to the OP. I agree with 57. I'd like to know what year truck, budget, and intended purpose. Emissions is just one of the many reasons. Why not run LT's instead of manifolds if you can? SBC parts are relatively cheap. I'd run some good after market heads and a cam in the 22X/23X range like the ZZ383 for a tow vehicle. Larger engines like larger cams so I'd get a larger grind if you're actually wanting to race. I wouldn't be afraid to spin a 2 bolt block to 6 or 6.5k rpm. I've seen plenty of dirt track cars in the more stockish classes do just that season after season and never blow the engine. The 2 bolt is more durable than many think. Spinning past 5000 rpm won't automatically grenade them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah, comparing a modded Gen 2 to a modded LS does not bode well for the Gen 2. The LS is a superior platform in pretty much every way, especially once you start modding things. Their stock camshafts are pretty bad, though...

The comment was made "After you get the 383 built, put an LQ9 in it!". A stock LQ9 is a pretty anemic piece, and a Vortec headed 383 with my cam in it would (and does) absolutely walk away from one. That was the comparison I was making.

22X/23X is a lot of camshaft for a purpose-built towing application...!

I would also take a set of Vortec heads (with back-cut stainless valves, LS6 springs and Comp 787's) over the ZZ's Fast Burn heads in a towing application as well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts