LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put new crankshaft in my 1993 Z28. This was my 1st engine pull on a 4th gen and i did it the hard way alone. It came out through the top without the tranny connected. Major pain... While putting it back together, 2 timing cover bolts broke and they just so happen to be the 2 top bolts that hold my opti in place. I purchased some easy out broken screw removers at auto zone and then ended up breaking on of those inside of each bolt.. what do i do? I cant afford a rescue bit but i do have a dremel. Can i maybe use sander tip and chainsaw sharpening bit to cut through the easy out, or the while bolt? And if i got a tap and die set, can i rethread those 2 without hurting my block? Plz help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just put new crankshaft in my 1993 Z28. This was my 1st engine pull on a 4th gen and i did it the hard way alone. It came out through the top without the tranny connected. Major pain... While putting it back together, 2 timing cover bolts broke and they just so happen to be the 2 top bolts that hold my opti in place. I purchased some easy out broken screw removers at auto zone and then ended up breaking on of those inside of each bolt.. what do i do? I cant afford a rescue bit but i do have a dremel. Can i maybe use sander tip and chainsaw sharpening bit to cut through the easy out, or the while bolt? And if i got a tap and die set, can i rethread those 2 without hurting my block? Plz help

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
Buy a solid carbide drill bit of a size that is about a 1/16 of an inch smaller than broken bolt. You can get these on line. Do a google search. Again, buy a solid carbide bit, not a coated bit. Your going to do some serious drilling.

Use a penetrating oil like pb blaster to lubricate bit while drilling. This is a precision job. It's very important that you start your hole DEAD CENTER on the broken bolt. And you must drill very straight into broken bolt.

What you are trying to do is to drill out most of the broken bolt. Leaving a thin shell around the outside of the bolt. When just the thin shell is left, you can use a very smal screwdriver & hammer, to collapse the outer shell of bolt. You should be able to pull it out . You need to be very careful when you collapse the shell. You don't want to bung up the bolt hole.

However, if you do bung up the bolt hole, do not drill and tap to a bigger size. What you need to do is to go to Napa, and buy a helicoil set of the original size of bolt. Use kit to drill, tap & place threaded insert into hole. Then use original size bolt to put parts back together.

And use anti seize compound on all the bolts you install.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good advice above, if you can find a left hand carbide drill bit that would be even better, sometimes it will bite and screw the bolt out.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts