LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished a V6 auto to V8 stick swap and now it is time to bleed the brakes. I tried the old one in the car pumping, one on the bleeder cracking it open method but I still have no brakes.
If the master cylinder was left to completely drain out, do I need to bench bleed it again ?
I really want to get this car finished and on the road so I need your help !

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes the master cylinder will need to be re bled . The work way to abs bleed out there then go to farthest away brake work back to closest

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
I had this issue with my V. Try bleeding the master in the car. Just have someone pump and hold and loosen the line connection like you would the bleeder. Do this to all of the lines. Make sure you have aomething to catch the fluid bexause it will eat paint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would I be able to put tubing on the bleeders of the abs unit and putting it into the master cylinder to "bench bleed" it in the car ?

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Not unless you cut the lines. I only had to mess with the master. I've never had to touch the abs pump.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
The fluid won't squirt out like it does out of the bleeder. It flows out around the threads. I just had a plastic cup I used with rags under. Then I made sure to clean the area well afterward.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
If your still having problems bleeding after bleeding the master you may have too much air in the actual lines. When I swapped rears, I got alot of air in the lines, so much that it wouldnt bleed out using a conventional process.

The best way Ive found, when you have a ton of air, is to completely open the bleeder have someone hold a finger over the bleeder and then pump the brakes. The air will be able to quickly come out of the line past your finger but not get back in. Eventually a bunch of fluid will start spraying out.

It lets you bleed a ton of air out really quick.

You can also try the lazy way and gravity bleed it

·
Registered
740 Posts
So you have NO brakes at all?
Or Only half braking power, or like 25% braking power?

If you have Zero braking, your Master Cylinder is the likely culprit, and must be bench bled(I call it Priming). If you have Half the braking power,etc, then you likely have air trapped in the ABS unit, lines or caliper.

If you have air trapped somewhere, you may need to jack up the Front or Rear of the car as High as safely possible, and try to bleed again(which forces the air out of it's hiding spots.)
----

If you have air in the ABS module, you need to find a dirt road.
Then you drive about 20+mph and Slam the brakes till they lock up...which forces the air out of the ABS system. You may need to do this several times, depending on how much air is in there. Then bleed the calipers as normal.
I believe some of the ABS units also have bleeder screws, as Mine did....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have no brakes at all. I started the car, put it in gear (secured on jack stands of course) and tried pressing them. They went right to the floor and the rotors were still turning. Ill have to take it apart and "prime" it. I may just finish putting the interior and front end back together then take the whole car to get the brakes done and safetied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts