LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few of you may know I have been running 275/40/17 BFG Gforce Sport Comp 1 as my street set up. I have complained a lot about them not being able to achieve efficient traction during a hard launch or at WOT under anything of 60 mph. I have ran a few tires over the years including:

255w A/S on 16s, these were fine when the car was Catback only but quickly began to lack performance with basic bolt ons.

255w on 16s NT555R DRs, I ran these for two summers... Really no complaints until they got closer to the wear bars and they were not possible to drive in the rain. With lots of tread they are great on the street and in the rain. These would break loose through 1st and half of 2nd, slight chirp going into 3rd.

275w on 17s BFG GForce SC1, after the 555Rs I thought these were terrible. However, I ran them for 4 years without issues. They were even way pass the wear bar and were still drivable in heavy rain. They would break loose in 1st 2nd and sometimes during the 2-3 shifts they would lose traction.

275w on 17s MT ET Streets, these are great, however, they wear ridiculously quickly it's scary. I hate driving on them because I feel like I'm wasting them for no reason. I break them loose on the street through 1st and they chirp 2nd. These are not great in the rain, 40mph maximum in wet conditions.

285s on 19s, these were OEM Corvette wheels and tires I was giving a try. The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar if I remember correctly... Now I know why stock C6s are so damn slow! These tires were garbage! They blew through all 1st, 2nd and 3rd! Once they broke loose it was a lost cause. This got me re-thinking my strategy of tire. The BFG didn't seem too bad anymore.

Finally, this brings me to the BFG GF SC2... I was battling it out between these and NT555s. Both tires have nearly the same tread pattern. Both sets of tires cost nearly the same, the NT555 are slightly more expensive. The BFGs are newer and cheaper... Also after reading the reviews of the new BFG tires there were very few who were disappointed... So I ordered the BFGs, figured they would match the front and there are very few reviews on these new tires.

I got them at Discount Tire for $340 installed, rear only. I brought the wheels to them as they don't have the proper lifts to jack up our cars. They kept asking why I wouldn't let them, which was kind of funny. Anyway, I brought them home and installed them. The rubber seems softer than the previous version and still has a deep tread pattern.

Once installed I went on a cruise. I did a quick dust off to get the oil off of them. After that I test different gears. 2nd feels like it spins a tad but it quickly grabs back, very impressive. 1st gear it obviously breaks loose, however, the tires are able to gain back traction. Finally I went from a dig and launched it a tad over idle. It spins through of 1st and regain tractions, then during the 1-2 shifts they spin a tad but without much drama. 2-3 is clean and easy! Nothing to worry about. I think I finally fell in love with a street tire!

The icing on the cake was that I ran into a GTR with Manufacture plates on my test drive. We lined up the light and he rolled down his window and said, "This is a test car, I can't race it!" so I replied, "Well, racing is testing right? I'm testing new tires so let's test it!" He kind of looks at me blankly and says, "Okay!" He ends up jumping the light but it really doesn't matter... That thing is a damn rocket ship! He easily put 3 cars on me as I shut it off before it shifts into third. We got to the next light and I told him, "Those things are insanely quick now!" He just smiled and turned down another street.

I should mention the ride quality and noise as I did notice this right away and I know "normal" ppl might be interested. The ride feels a lot better. My car is very rough riding with all the drag suspension mods and these tires are they only ones that seems to have smoothed them out. The road noise is also minimal to the other tires I have driven in.

I suppose I can mention handling as well since I did take my drag car around some round-a-bouts. This car is really sloppy around corners at higher speeds, however, the rear tires did seem to calm it down a tad. I felt much more comfortable going around the corners with the hulk of a drag set up. I even got some tire squeal without spinning out! I believe that's a plus.

Anyway, this is a day one analysis. I will be updating as I go through the days of driving.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear is getting worse as the days go on. I believe the ring and pinion are slowly melting away as the soft high pith howling is now turning into a wizzing whining sound that resembles something like an air plane impeller. If the rear end was healthy and not producing a noise I would have no issue taking it to the track.

No track time for the car this year, sadly, I have too much on my plate in my life (Job promotion, moving into a new house, and getting married) where if the car were to break it would have to stay broke. There are also a few other things I would like to take care of on the car itself before it sees the track.

After last season of barely driving it all summer due to gremlins I vowed to work on it this year only if I had to. I just want to enjoy it because last year I wanted to sell it. I still have a few goodies in boxes at the shop that I haven't installed on the car yet. I'm saving them as a winter project for now :D

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news!

Driving MT ETs for 3 weeks and then doing hole shots with these new tires has taken it's toll. The rear end is whining really bad now. I found another 10 bolt with 3.73s in my general location. Picking it up today. I'll be welding the tubes and swapping over my TA cover to this new/used unit. I'll rebuild my current one with the Yukon carrier in my spare time. If this unit I'm picking up today is in great condition and the posi is functional me going to the track is no longer out of the question.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just incase anyone was wondering... A 10 bolt does fit under the hatch of a 4th gen Fbody... They guy was laughing at me when I pulled up in my T/A. This car has carried some amazing things!

Now back on track!

Finally got to test the new tires in some heavy rain. On the highway they were very stable at 70mph. I had no issue changing lanes, not even a shudder or a wiggle out the rear. I am very pleased as it rains often in the state of Michigan!

When it came to putting the power down? They hold one my car leaning on the throttle until 3k rpms and can't take the pain anymore! They break loose but with little drama. They give you more than enough time to correct your mistake and gain traction again.

So far I am still extremely impressed with these tires.

To sum it up so far:

Dry traction: Finished up killing my 10 bolt.

Wet traction: Safe and secure.

Ride comfort: Best I've ridden in by my selection in the original post.

Ride noise: I can't hear them over my exhaust, stiff suspension, 4th gen creeks / clunks, whining 10 bolt.

Price: One of the lowest priced summer high performance tires available today.

Recommendation: Yes, xDMx approved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts