LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to launch an A4, I guess it's not as simple as off the brake and on the gas. Is this where the different torque converters come into play?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i just put it in D, one foot the brake, one slightly on the gas, just enough before it becomes a burnout, 3rd yellow comes on, dump the brakes and give the gas a real intimate relationship with the floor real fast, been getting .1XX RTs and with a 2.0 60' on street tires with stock converter

i dont know if thats the best idea, but its been working for me

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you still hav the stock rubber on?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
camarojoe1991 said:
Install a transbrake! :p
a T-brake on a 4l60e???? :poke: sounds like a one shot fun trip down the 1/4 then to the trans shop for a rebuild...

for cars without a T-brake it seems that an off idle launch has produced the best numbers, this is simply because it allows your converter to flash a tad higher.
if you go th350/400 then the T-brake is KING :devil:

my converter flashed 3800 foot braking, 4000 off idle, and 4300 on the T-brake. cut consistant 1.5's on the big T :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Jaberwaki said:
a T-brake on a 4l60e???? :poke: sounds like a one shot fun trip down the 1/4 then to the trans shop for a rebuild...

for cars without a T-brake it seems that an off idle launch has produced the best numbers, this is simply because it allows your converter to flash a tad higher.
if you go th350/400 then the T-brake is KING :devil:

my converter flashed 3800 foot braking, 4000 off idle, and 4300 on the T-brake. cut consistant 1.5's on the big T :thumbsup:

A stage 5 4l60e should be able to hold up with a Tbrake right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Tell all my guys to launch in manual 1st, right after the launch shifting to 4th or 3rd, my preferance is fourth. The reasons for this is when your launching in manual 1st your on your low roller backed up by your low/reverse clutch, any time you can back up a mechanical clutch your ahead of the game. Secondly you get the boosted pressure in manual low. When moving to the 4th position I tell my guys to do this because there is more pressure in fourth, with less of a pressure drop between shifts. I hope this helps...Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rock-On said:
I Tell all my guys to launch in manual 1st, right after the launch shifting to 4th or 3rd, my preferance is fourth. The reasons for this is when your launching in manual 1st your on your low roller backed up by your low/reverse clutch, any time you can back up a mechanical clutch your ahead of the game. Secondly you get the boosted pressure in manual low. When moving to the 4th position I tell my guys to do this because there is more pressure in fourth, with less of a pressure drop between shifts. I hope this helps...Dave
I thought leaving it in drive gave the best pressure and everything? no shifting?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
gettinthere said:
A stage 5 4l60e should be able to hold up with a Tbrake right?
I am not a fan of either the term stage anything or the 4160e.
So i imagine I am not the best one to ask... In fact i was wondering who you found that installs T-brakes on 4160's???:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Jaberwaki said:
I am not a fan of either the term stage anything or the 4160e.
So i imagine I am not the best one to ask... In fact i was wondering who you found that installs T-brakes on 4160's???:dontknow:
I don't really know of anyone that will do it per say. But I don't mind having to fab something to make it work. If it won't work it's not the end of the world though. I can leave off of a footbrake just fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
what does a T-brake do exactly??? i mean... its not exactly common knowledge.. so anyone want to explain?? thanks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
LT1-TA said:
what does a T-brake do exactly??? i mean... its not exactly common knowledge.. so anyone want to explain?? thanks.
im still hazy on the subject, but my best understanding of it is, you put the car in gear, flip a switch, rev it up to where ever you want it, release the switch and take off like a rocket, or burn the tires

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well until you do get a transbrake and or slicks you should probably be planning on just a little above idle on the brakes unless your tires can handle more or less ,I mean your kinda at their mercy ya know. It will also make a big difference on where your launching at street or strip ,sometimes round here you luck out and get to go after they have sprayed vht down...sweet.:rockon:

·
Registered
221 Posts
LiquidFire350 said:
im still hazy on the subject, but my best understanding of it is, you put the car in gear, flip a switch, rev it up to where ever you want it, release the switch and take off like a rocket, or burn the tires

well there has to be a lot more to it considering everyone who has a trans brake has a huge stall tooooo...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My buddy Bain said he was putting a T-brake on his 4l60e I thought...

Transbrake engages 1st and reverse at the same time, allowing you to load the tranny without messing with the rest of the drivetrain. When you release it, it pulls reverse off and all that force is then transmitted to the wheels. T-brake launches hurt my kidneys :devil:

·
Registered
221 Posts
CamTom12 said:
My buddy Bain said he was putting a T-brake on his 4l60e I thought...

Transbrake engages 1st and reverse at the same time, allowing you to load the tranny without messing with the rest of the drivetrain. When you release it, it pulls reverse off and all that force is then transmitted to the wheels. T-brake launches hurt my kidneys :devil:

yeah i researched it after i posted that.

It locks the trans (by engaging reverse and first at the same tiem) so when you stomp on it with the t-brake it forces the torque converter to slip as high as it can. THen let go and reverse is disengaged and the fun begins...

that is how i would explain it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
runing 235 tires, with an open 2.93 rear. I had great sucess launching my cadillac at around 1200rpms. It wouldn't shock the tires as much, so I could go 3/4 pedal for a half second, then full throttle. I just loaded the convertor up to 1200, and left on the 3rd yellow. Managed 14.9, with a 2.25 60. Only mods were catback, valve springs, and home depot intake, and air lift 1000's.

Now I know that is slow for these f-body's. but that's decent for a 4500lbs race weight tank(includes 150lbs driver).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
BACK FROM THE DEAD........THIS POST!!!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts