LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which long Tube header & Y-pipe exhaust are best for the 97' LT1 Camaros? :poke: Im just curious if anyone has experience Hooker Long Tube header & Y-pipe. I would greatly appricate the feedback. ;) Im condisering in purchasing some Long Tube header and Y-pipe for my Camaro.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Jet-Hot makes some very good headers as well as pacesetter. The Jet-Hots have been know to pick up a couple extra HP due to them being a little more equal in the tube lengths. We'd definately recomend getting some ceramic coated no matter what brand you went with. If you have anymore questions please fell free to ask.

Josh

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have hooker long tubes and hooker y pipe. They were a pain to get in they have no fittings for air or egr. Spark plug wires get burned up in about 10 minutes of running the car. The y-pipe had to be cut slightly to fit right and has no fittings for your after cat 02's. The gaskets had to be cut a little because it had a lip. And the welds could have been done better especially around the valve area. But for the price gains and sound cant beat em. Just have patience installing them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, I must agree with Custom SSI that Jet-Hot are good products especially with the cermanic coat on it which reduce the heat temperature. I wonder how much mpg do they get with the Jet-Hot headers & Y-pipe? Does the mpg imporves or discrease?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I've been very happy with my FLP's. You can make more power with other brands, I remember a back to back Hooker/FLP dyno on a stock LT1 resulted in +5 hp for the hookers.

However, in dealing with emissions requirements, the swappable off-road pipes & cats have been worth every penny the FLPs cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone run non ceramic coated header? My friend has a 02 WS6 with, either pacesetter or hooker headers, I can't remember. They aren't coated and he says he does just fine with them. Of course he has ram air and a lower thermostat, but would that help a whole lot?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Mine are non coated. Non-coated and coated are no different IMO. Buddy of mine got coated and mine do the same job, the heat comign through the firewall is about the same and under hood heat is minor difference. Only thing is mine will eventually turn a rusty color. But who gives a shit if you ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts