LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best cam for lt1 full bolt-on car...

i was looking at the crane cam 104227 but summit & jegs both want $400+

so what cam would be just as good for a daily driver for a lil less money?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was concidering the 227 till I saw the price.
Now I'm looking at the hotcam
The 227 has gone up in price but it has also out performed the Hotcam on the dyno. And it is a billet ground cam.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was concidering the 227 till I saw the price.
Now I'm looking at the hotcam
tell me about both jegs and summit are selling the sky high and i really wanted to give that cam a shot...

as for the 503 & 306, i was looking for something a lil more in the sleeper side of things but how's the drive ability, i drive to oh atleast 2x a month so how bad would mileage kill me as far as the highway is concerned?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok just talked to le and here's something i didn't quite understand, i already i'm running comp's pro mag 1.6rr's and 918 beehives but he mentioned something about clearance issues w/ my stock heads...

so if i can a cam as small as the 227 for similar would i really need of mildly ported alum heads...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
cam

LLoyd is likely talking about the pushrods clearing the holes in the heads. On stock Iron heads there is not a lot of room. The Crane 227 cam or the GM 845 cam will work with stock valves (need better springs) but in most cases you will need to use 1.5 rocker on intake and can use 1.6 on exhaust. Too much lift will result in coil bind on the valve springs.

There should be lots of those cams available used. I ran the 227 with the 1.5/1.6 roller rockers on a stock head Impala and it was an excellent street motor. More torque in the mid range and it would pull 60 to 90 + on the interstate very quickly. I had 3.42 gears in the rear end.

If you get a cam from LE ask him to spec the springs and do the math for lift vs spring height.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cam choice

Don't overlook the Comp Cams 502. I've been very satisfied so far. Don"t have to rev beyond 6000 rpm and pulls very strong down low. In my 3rd gen with carbed LT1, stock heads and valves, upgraded springs and 1.6 rollers, 3.27 gears, a 2000 stall converter and headers, I have run 12.32 @112.96 with a 1.9 60 ft. If I can get it to hook, I think 11.'s are possible.

Some of the bigger cams require you to rev them to 6200+ rpm to take advantage of them and although many do it, I think you are risking bottom end problems if done regularly....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i'm better off w/ cam & head package from le but will i need to redo my bottom end or will i be fine w/ the stock bottom end as long as i keep the cam & head choice mild?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts