LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to gather all my bolt ons/parts together so this summer I can throw them in and get a tune. what would be the best mods?

car will just be used for street racing and maybe a trip to the drag. I already have longtubes and a ypipe in my garage. any suggestions? im hoping for around 350rwhp after tune (if possible)

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
I'm not a performance expert but if I had your goals I'd start with long tube headers, cat back exhaust or true duals.

Better intake system.

Then move to a high performance cam, new valve springs, full roller rocker arms usin a 7/16 rocker stud, the non self aligning type. Then rocker studs, hardened push rods, guide plates for the push rods.

If your feeling froggy, you could even port and polish the cylinder heads and intake. Our member viper has some good info on home porting.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a moroso CAI on it right now. I can put roller rockers on a stock cam?

how do hardened pushrods work? just curious.

if you have any experience with cams let me know. I don't want anything really aggressive cuz its going to be a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just do all the free mods. Anything else is kinda a waste without supporting mods.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Cutouts?

Funny to learn cutouts are a good bang for the buck. I tried a google of LT1 bolts ons and read something like 14hp for $45. Hope they don't leak.:lol:
Anyways try google for yourself and theres plenty to read for the LT1. David Emanuel has a few LT1 combos in his book and John Lingenfelter got 450hp from a 383 LT1 through stock exh manifolds. TPIS has a new book out on the LT1 but it next on my list to read.

Read up and good luck,
cardo

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was leaning more towards ppl and their experiences with their mods. you know? like what was worth the buck and what really wasn't.

like i said above so far i just have a full exhaust and a cold air intake. what should be next? 1.6 rrs, 52mm tb, intake porting etc etc?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i like the idea of cutouts. ill put that on the list.haha

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was pushing 332 rwhp with my mods in sig. Was partially untuned at the time (had a basic mail order and was working on getting it datalogged).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much was it pushing after the tune?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Haven't gotten down to there lately (got my datalogged tune back 3 weeks ago). But to be honest I'm probably only gonna pick up a couple more rwhp

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's what im shooting for!haha what rr/springs did you go with and how do you like the hotcam?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Hotcam is pretty nice. It was the summit kit they have. A friend bought the kit for his 95 Firebird. He had it in storage for a couple months when a drunk ran a light and totaled his Bird. So he just gave me the kit :D. I've heard mixed results on the springs (some say they suck others have no problems) so I'm just gonna run em until I see an issue. The RR came with the kit. My understanding is the Rockers were done by Crane which works for me anyways :p

I like it a lot. I do need to get a stall though as it's noticeable at an idle or cruising. Just waiting for this trans to go bad or next Feb, whichever comes first :) But it's DEFINITELY a whole different animal.

My only complaint at this stage is the Flowmaster. Running it with this setup and no cat is REALLY loud at WOT. Oregon has a 92 decibel noise limit on car exhaust at 25 ft. While I am under that at idle (not much) I'm pretty sure at WOT the entire town hears me. And the drone at 60 is starting to get to me lol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you ever tried some rubberized undercoating? I see a lot of ppl using that for beat and droning to deaden out the noise.

mid 300s to the wheels sounds fun. I think next thing ill be doing is 1.6rr and springs. one step at a time so when Im ready ill throw the cam in there. haha and its good for my bank account.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts