LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i was wondering what would be the best mod to do to a stock lt1, with a college bankaccount. I am saving money to put into the car but i want to know what i should do first. I was thinking complete exhaust system, i dont have to pass emmisions so long tubes with straight pipes into flowmasters, and maybe a 100 or 125 dry shot of nos. i have plans for afr heads, comp cam, good intake, after i graduate as a mechanic but i want to kno what would be the best mods to go fast quick and reasonably cheap for now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
when i bought my first camaro i was a student and had no money.... the first thing i did was n20.. definetly the most bang for the buck but if you plan on doing more mods han just one fast cheap easy one i have to agree with brian... torque converter, sfc's, headers. exhaust, etc... they are all very worth while mods

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would recommend a CAI (can be found cheap on the "for sale" sections on the various F-body boards), a cat-back exhaust, of course the free mods, and then to nitrous. I feel that the more air in, more air principle will help anything you do concerning nitrous use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's quite a bit of weight you can remove - some of it at no cost. No better bank for the buck than free.

Inner Bumpers and rear seats come to mind, but there are lots of others. I think there are some pretty detailed weight reduction lists over on Camaroz28.com. Since you're in Canada, I'd definitely go with the 1LE AC delete pulley and remove the AC.

Besides free, nitrous will be the next best bang for the buck. I think NX makes a nice product, but there are cheaper kit's that work too...

I also think tuning from PCMforless or Madz28 would be a good value.

·
Registered
936 Posts
how much extra horsepower could you make by doing a TB bypass and an AC delete??

·
Registered
970 Posts
You might pick up 10 at the most with a tb byepass and a/c delete. If your on a tight budget and are in school I would stay away from nos. Things seem to break quicker. I'd go CAI, catback, headers, and gears. Those are the best bolt ons imo.

·
Registered
936 Posts
my car already has a flowmaster 80 series cat back with a cutout after the cat but its still running avg stock times of 14.30's. should i get a different cat back system? the flowmaster sounds great but i dont think it really flows like it should. i have some really old kumho street tires on it that are getting really hard 2. that might have something to do with it

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'd ditch the flowmasters. They hold alot back. Are you m6 or a4. Your times seem average, maybe a little slow. When was the last tune up done?

·
Registered
456 Posts
if your a4, 2500 stall from Champ Converters for $150 with your core

then 3.73 gears..

used cai, or ebay cai.. or piece on together with pvc pipe from lowes or home depot..

then the $320 ebay headers..

if your car is a 94 or 95, get rid of the catalytic converter

then do a 3 1/2 catback single exhaust, or a true duals setup

·
Registered
936 Posts
its a4. i was thinking my times were a little bit slow 2. we changed the oil and air filter but thats the last tunes. idk when the comp was reflashed but it was before i got the car. im thinking about borla cat back when i save up the money and a hi performance cat. i need a intake elbow as mine has a crack on the bottom which i think is making the car run lean. that could be the source of the slow times. its my first car though and im 16, cant beat that for a first car

·
Registered
936 Posts
ok?

·
Registered
936 Posts
anyway i wish someone would comment on my post

·
Registered
456 Posts
the flowmaster single in dual out sucks..
its better than stock but still it sucks for flow in comparison to single in/single out mufflers.

a 3inch or 3 1/2 single catback exhaust would flow alot better..

·
Registered
896 Posts
Best mod by far for an auto car is a torque converter.
Next I would say CAI and headers.

Edit: That flowmaster catback doesn't flow that good, but you might gain a couple HP switching to something better on a mostly stock car.

·
Registered
936 Posts
oh well it doesnt really matter. umm what would you reccomend me doing first to my car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
2800-3200 torque converter.. then 3.73 gears
I would not recommend anything higher than a 2,000 stall for a street car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts