LS1LT1 Forum banner

Best bang for buck exhaust LT1

11K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Dustin1984 
#1 ·
I have a bone stock Lt1 Z28 that I just ordered 3.73 gears for. Im also gong with a PCMforless tune. In regards to the exhaust, whats the most cost effective setup. I was thinking a glasspack on the I pipe and welding a pipe in place of the muffler. I see a lot of flack against glasspacks but I love the rasp and popping so I don't care lol. Do you guys think that would produce sufficient gains considering the car will most likely remain a bolt on car for a while? Im a student so a $500 system is out of the question. I live in Canada so something like an SLP loudmoth is like $550 shipped :/

#3 ·
there is WAY more restriction in the manifolds and cats than the muffler, spend your money on headers first.

i run a set of midtubes and offroad y straight into the stock catback right now, it has a nice growl, and it's pretty loud.. dont forget half your sound comes from up front.

the stock muffler is not a very big restriction for a bolt-on car, it's only worth it if you do a full 3" catback exhaust, and the only gains will be on the top end.. hell, you'll even lose a little bit of low end from the increase in tubing size..

the loudmouth just sounds retarded, imo. you might as well just run a straightpipe.

#6 ·
the Midtubes I've seen all come with a y-pipe that will bolt up to the factory cat... or high-flow aftermarket replacement... I hear lots of good from guys here about the MAC mid-tubes, but I'm planning on long-tubes

#8 ·
long tubes you can kiss your cats goodbye....

#7 ·
the cheapest will be a cutout either an electric cutout or bolt cutout,,,, cant match the price,,,,

if you want quality sound and so, turns the story a little bit higher... you can always get a hooker aerochamber, they are cheap and they sound pretty badass! you can get just the mufler and weld your stock tips in the stock location...

headers are a must in lt1s, if you can save for at least quick trip´s "shortie headers" you can keep your cats and you wont be sorry...

#9 ·
that's the plan bym!

#10 ·
LOL sorry mistaken user to reply, thought the guy who started the thread was saying that hahahahhaahaha

#11 ·
The idea of running an ory is really intriguing me now that I think about it, do some of you guys know shops that will pass your cars without cats? My fear is just getting pulled over for being too loud, the cop checking under my car, seeing no cats, and me getting in shit haha.

#12 ·
I have been ticketed for "excessive exhaust noise" twice. No cop ever actually looked under the car. Most will take your word for what your setup is before they dirty up their uniform laying on the ground. If you are concerned with visuals you can always gut the cats. They certainly aren't gonna look that far into it. The biggest drawback to loudmouth is it draws too much attention.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
Silverbullet, the MAC mids come with a y-pipe, so it's not an extra expense, and it will bolt up to stock cat, though you may want to plan on upgrading the Cat to a Magnaflow in the future. (or other high-flow cat).
Being that the only experience I have right now is Reading ad nauseum about exhaust systems, take what I say here with a grain of salt, but the flowmasters have a rep for poor flow. have you listened to the Hooker Aerochamber? I like that one and that's the route I'm going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.