LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of pulling the motor from the bottom k member style. But that's not what I'm worried about. I've done plenty of research and am pretty confident I know where I'm going with this.

My problem right now is the stupid evap system. Throughout its life the car was been worked on plenty. Everyone has had their hands on this car and from what I'm seeing they weren't the greatest mechanics. Hoses are just chillin there not attached to anything dry rotted and cracked all over. I'm surprised it didnt have a vacuum leak. So I want to completely get rid of it. Also the rad hoses are ran just plain ignorantly. The serp belt rubbed a hole in one and SOAKED the opti. So I'm thinking the less belt the better. Ac delete and electric water pump. So what I'm asking is whats the best way to delete the evap and ac? And where do I get a vented gas cap?

I'm basically going all out here. The needs a total rebuild so I'm gonna go nuts now so I don't have to go through the hassle of pulling the motor again. It'll basically be a street legal race car. Mostly track driven trailer queen. Only street driven in the best of weather.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
AC Bypass pulley - Dorman 34155
Get a serpentine belt 1/2" - 1" shorter.

Cap off the evap inlet at the throttle body and remove all parts in that system. Not sure on the gas cap...

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
there isn't a lot of info on EVAP and fuel system, and how to modify it... but i've mostly figured it out

the tank has four lines out the top, two of them are vent lines..

one is a line running to a small check valve and air filter up near the fender. it's a little plastic one way valve. this allows fresh air INTO the tank in a vacuum (i.e. engine running) situation but does not allow for vapors to be released.

the other is a line running to a charcoal canister, which holds fumes from the tank, allowing them to be re-burned via the throttle body. that whole run includes a solenoid. you can delete all this stuff... but if you just cap it off, that means in a situation of pressure (say an almost empty tank being stored in the baking hot sun..) the tank could be under enormous pressure...

so there are two ways to do it. first is just cap one of the vent lines, and put a small inline fuel filter on the other one, leaving it open to the atmosphere. i'd keep the level of that hose above tank level to prevent any possible siphoning, but none should happen anyway. that'll allow air in and vapors out. it will smell a little bit, and your fuel will dissapear to a certain extent.. it is possible if you fill your tank in the cold then park your car, you could be spewing gas out that tube too...

the other way (which i ended up doing) is to leave the entire EVAP system in place and just leave the hose from the OUTLET of the charcoal canister open to atmosphere. that way fumes will only release when the tank becomes slightly pressurized, and the fumes that do come out will be processed by the charcoal, and smell will be reduced. the only difference is, your engine is no longer involved in that process.

DO NOT try my first idea, and get a vented gas cap and just cap both vent lines off. due to the location and height of the filler neck it WILL spew fuel on hard acceleration up a hill on a full tank. the fill neck is at the back of the tank. ask me how i know.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts