LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1996 firebird formula out Saturday night and got home and around 3. Sunday morning I went out to start it around 11 a.m. and the battery was complietly dead. But nothing was left on. I plugged a battery charger on and it started up after a few minutes of charging and ran great. I used it a few more times that day with a few hours in between. And it started right up everytime. Then I parked it later that night. Then Monday night I went out to see if it would start and when I turned the key it lite up like normal then as soon as I went to start it the lights on the dash flickered and it was dead. But once again the charger got it started and then started a little bit later again fine as well. Could this be a short or just a bad battery on its way out? I believe its is a 550 amps battery with 450 cca. And every where I looked it said that was smalled then the factory one. And its cammed so it should need more amps to start. Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Don't forget to check the battery cables for good, clean, tight connections at both ends. Too much resistance caused by loose connections and corrosion can mimic a dead battery.

But have battery tested to see if it's holding a charge also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing that confuses me tho is how it can hold the charge for a few hours. Is that normal for a bad battery? Or is that just meaning its on its way out?

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Yes maybe it's on it's way out and can hold enough charge to start the car for several hours after removing charger. But adding several more hours and charge has drained to the point of no operation.

Sounds like the battery in my 95. I charge it and car starts right up. If I start it a couple of hours later, it still cranks up. But if I let it sit to the next day, nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Last week my battery did the same thing for 2 days, then it was toast... Had battery tested and it wasnt any good......sounds to me like your battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now here's the thing that just blew my mind... I went out and tried to start it for the first time since Monday night, and it started right up. So I did a 3 minute battery test and it stayed at 15.6 and didn't go over. But considering it was around there with that being the limit I'm guessing it'll be done soon.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's exactly what a dead battery does. Your car doesn't start one morning.
Your lights will come on, but the engine "clicks" or you get a "lug" in the engine, but no start.

If the car won't start, but it Does with a booster, your battery is gone.
You should have 13.5v at Idle and 14+ as you rev the engine.
(with a multimeter.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts