LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started having issues with my battery losing voltage and I started to investigate. Replaced the battery and it continued. Alternator is good so I narrowed it down to my sub amp wire. Long story short, the battery holder broke and the battery slides will driving and the positive connection hits the AC line and arcs out. I am trying to find a way to secure the battery. Anyone have any they suggest. I saw the OEM version (I think) that has the coolant reservoir attached? Not sure if that's it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Global Moderator
13,303 Posts
The shade tree mechanic approach would be to get the proper sized bungee cord, 2 threaded eye hooks, nuts & washers to fit threaded eye hooks.

You locate 2 places on battery tray, or other location. Drill a holes big enough for threaded portion of eye hook to go through. Of course, where you drill hole must be in a place where you can attach washers & nuts.

Install eye hooks, use bungee cord to hold down battery.

You might be lucky enough to find 2 places near batter tray where hooks on bungge will fit without having to use the eye hooks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I started having issues with my battery losing voltage and I started to investigate. Replaced the battery and it continued. Alternator is good so I narrowed it down to my sub amp wire. Long story short, the battery holder broke and the battery slides will driving and the positive connection hits the AC line and arcs out. I am trying to find a way to secure the battery. Anyone have any they suggest. I saw the OEM version (I think) that has the coolant reservoir attached? Not sure if that's it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I had the same issue. The combination battery holder/coolant reservoir is poorly designed. I couldn't "shade tree" it, because I used to run in timed rally races. I was required to have the battery secured with the factory hold-down or I wouldn't pass tech inspection. I went to the salvage yard and pulled one out of a wrecked Trans Am. I discovered you have to be careful not to over tighten that wedge style clamp when securing the battery to the tray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue on my 95 z28. I picked one up off parts geek for under 50 bucks. The wedge tightened down with a nut on the underside of the right side fender. Idk if there is a replacement grommet available for the return tube the feeds thru the top, if so it may be wise to go ahead and snag one of those new as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts