LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my diagnostic port working again thank to a bad ground and did a very brief datalog to test it. Poking at the results today I suspect this might be saying I have a bad Left O2 sensor. Something to take note of, the car was battery disconnected before this for a few days, as well the car never went into closed loop, only open looped, this was literally a few seconds of logging. That said the O2 voltage of 0 for the left and .4xx for the right seems rather odd to me.

Can someone take look at this log and let me know your thoughts?

http://www.brutusv8.com/misc/datalog1.csv

Paul

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
O2 with 0 voltage is not right. When dealing with heated o2 sensors, even though they take a minute or 2 to heat up. They should read like the other o2, in the middle of the range until they start to function fully.

Switch o2 sensors to the opposite sides and see if 0 voltage moves to opposite side or stays where it is. If Problem stays on the same side, go to next paragraph. If problem moves with sensor to other side, sensor is bad.

So check your wiring to the o2 main circuit. Make sure heater wire is getting voltage with key on. And make sure ground is good on heater circuit.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
coco is correct, O2's have to get to 600* F to switch. However the title columns in the .csv are skewed to the left, looks like you have TPS voltage repeated in columns 2 and 3 , but the headings are not, so the actual data is one col to the right of the header in each col. Your O2 voltages are .4xx left (not switching) and .9xx very rich which can be normal if left O2 is a little cooler or slower for 10 seconds of initial startup. The PCM holds the O2 voltage at about 450 Mv (.450 V) and once the O2 starts working on its own it overrides that voltage and switches between 100-900 Mv. If the Left stays at 450 Mv longer than 2-3 mins of running then the O2 is dead, or the cercit is open between the pCM and O2. Here's a heater test... on ice cold engine, start scan very fast after key on w/o engine running. O2's should read 450 Mv and as the heaters warm them up within 2-3 mins they should go to 100 Mv or below. That indicates a lean reading from the O2 as the engine is not running. If voltage stays at 450 then O2 is dead or heater circuit is open.. When looking at a running engine, don't forget O2 switches from 100 to 900 every time each cylinder in a bank fires (very fast - narrow band frequency, 55 times a second per cyl at 900 RPM ) but the data log is only 6-8 times a second. Therefore the voltage reported is an 8 times a second snapshot of a very fast moving 55 times a second target and will vary on each data record. So you have to look at the O2 voltage readings over many records to see what voltages is is switching at. By the way after a cold start it requires 214 seconds of running -and- both O2's switching voltage correct -and- coolant at 140 to go into closed loop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts