LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to begin I drive a 1997 Trans Am, picked it up about a month ago. On the way of driving it home SES light came on so i started kickin myself in the ass for buying the car (craigslist deal) only to realize it was a bad cat. ANYWAYS new problem arose a few days ago. I took the car to my dad's and wanted to take him for a ride (he's a huge gear head) and I figured hed appreciate the car. Well on the way there I was getting on it pretty hard and all of the sudden a huge uh "Bang/Thud" hit the bottom of my floor right by where the tranny is. Freaking out I made sure it shifted through all the gears fine. I've got an automatic so i shifted through the gears manually too. Everything is fine until I put it under a load and then as soon as I do I get a big thud on the floor again. I popped the hood and showed my dad and he seems to think it's a motor mount or one of the tranny mounts.. Any suggestions? I'm puzzled, because I've been hearing several different things from different people.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
could be, or maybe exhaust hitting the floor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well the thing is we opened the hood and acted like we were brake torquing the car but just so we can see what the engine was doing under a load and it moved a lot more than I THINK is normal, but I know it's something sitting right underneath the front two seats thats hitting the floor and it's not a quiet sound.. sounds like it's almost going to come thru the floor. on the upside. My exhaust is here today! new magnaflow y pipe with hi flow cats :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The exhaust can hit very easy under the car. Check that out

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I bought my 95 T/a, The trans. mount was bad. Sounded just like you described. HARD bangs under the car. Pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check Trans mount. When I looked at my current car, the owner said the trans was going out so thats why he was selling it for $3k (bluebooked for $7k in my area). I test drove it and whenever I hit it, BANG BOOM. I knew what it was beings my old Iroc blew the trans mount and I was familiar with it. Bought it, stopped on the way home and got a mount and installed it.

Been fine ever since lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh awesome, thanks a lot guys i wasnt sure if that's what it was or not. I'll check it out as soon as I get outta work and throw it on the scissor lift! it's just a horrible sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts