LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wondering if it is better to have more backpressure or less backpressure to make the most power. this being said what would be the best setup to run on my formula. longtubes into 2 1/2" or 3"? straight piped duals into mufflers or straight out no mufflers? headers then single pipe with mufflers? what is the best way? thanks and price isnt an issue..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
back pressure.... no such animal. that is a shadetree mechanic term.

the simple answer is anything empeding exhaust flow is empeding power...

you will make MORE power with a wide open exhaust, now comes the harder part... how MUCH hp you make does not matter, how much USABLE hp is what you need to shoot for.

the more open your exhaust is the more hp you will make but the higher in the RPM band you make said power... It is easy to find that you have put your power band right out of your RPM limit. this is less of a problem with the LS1 as it loves to rev very high, the LT1 on the other hand makes most of its power in the 5600-5800 band.

that being said here is what i would recomend...

go with a true duel 3" exhaust to a h-pipe with 18" bullet mufflers...

If you find this is putting your power a tad outside your rpm band you can "tune" it by simply changing mufflers...

if you go 2 1/2 and find out its not open enough you have to change the whole set up...
do it once.... do it right... ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts