LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
I didn't see 4L60E/4L80E listed - do you have a 700R4?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you read the guy says he has that trans mtion and it works but would this let me make my own shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The unimatic shifter is mostly for relocating a column shifter to the floor, not for manually selecting gears. I don't think that's what you want.

If you have a 4L60E, that's an electronically controlled transmission. That means that no matter what shifter you get - ratchet, gate, air-shifted etc. - you won't be able to hold the shifts as long as you want. It would be like shifting from 1 to 2 to 3 with you stock shifter. The computer WILL automatically shift the trans at the set RPM. If you want a useable manual shifter, you need to reprogram the shift points way higher so you can shift when you want to. This would be the cheapest solution.

For a true manual-auto trans you have a few options. I am running a full-manual 4L80 on my '81 camaro. The trans controller and stock valve body are replaced by a manual valve body which means I have total control over the transmission (the line pressures are determined by a vacuum modulator) but I HAVE to up and downshift into every single gear. There is no auto function whatsoever.

If a full-manual isn't what you're interested in, you can get an aftermarket transmission controller (http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html) and a paddle shifter setup (http://twistmachine.com/products/shrifter.html) that allows your trans to work like a true manumatic or tiptronic. You'll have to lose your stock steering wheel and airbag, though. There might be other solutions but these are all I can think of.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well what would li be able to di if i put this in my car would i be able to still pop from gears one to 2 to 3 to 4 if i want to before it automatically shift

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can do that now with your stock shifter. Just put it in 1 and shift up throught the gears when you want to. If you install a ratchet shifter, it'll just make it so you can slam the stick without over shifting. Of course, that will do nothing for performance since you still have the stock shift points to contend with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Digging up this thread, if you used the transgo hd2 kit mated with a ratchet shifter you could hold any ger you like for as long as you like and even downshift to any gear with the ratchet, or put it in D and let the computer shift for you correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts