LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is breaking down around 5500 Rpm, & it used to pull to 6200 RPM with no issues. Wires, plugs, etc. all in good shape, so I'm suspecting the opti.

I have more time than money (retired), & have changed them out before, so thinking of picking up a cheap opti off Ebay.Is this a complete waste of time, or has anyone had good luck with one of these?
Thanks

Here is one:
Ignition Distributor Optispark Chevy Camaro Corvette Firebird | eBay

·
Registered
377 Posts
it will probably arrive DOA.
trust me. I got 2 at that price and both were dead with in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The opti is one of the most important components on these motors. Don't cheap out with it. You'll regret it.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i'll bet you that the 'reman' opti you buy from GM (the only one available now) has the same shitty chinese made ripoff opti sensor that the $50 ebay one does

maybe buy an MSD instead?

·
Registered
763 Posts
The MSD opti looks to be well made. Ill be sure to let you guys know if it takes a crap. Oh, and op stay away from those bargin optis. They are shit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So where can we get these AC Delco or Delphi optis now?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do yourself a favor and avoid that like the plague.
Thanks for all the input, the $50 one is off the list.
It looks like a Dephi is recommended by most & is about $100 less than ACDelco or MSD, so leaning towards Delphi, unless anyone has heard negative stuff about them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for all the input, the $50 one is off the list.
It looks like a Dephi is recommended by most & is about $100 less than ACDelco or MSD, so leaning towards Delphi, unless anyone has heard negative stuff about them
there about 10 delphi's on ebay right now for between $300-$400.
but IMHO.....they are all the same, your waisting your money on the name. there are thousands of suppliers in the world that make parts(the EXACT same part) for multiple companies. same parts/different brand name! I would bet the mythical opti spark is one of them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there about 10 delphi's on ebay right now for between $300-$400.
but IMHO.....they are all the same, your waisting your money on the name. there are thousands of suppliers in the world that make parts(the EXACT same part) for multiple companies. same parts/different brand name! I would bet the mythical opti spark is one of them.
I had read somewhere else that Mitsibushi makes the same optical sensor used in Delco for other electronic ignitions as well, used in Hondas, Toyotas etc, with no history of problems, & that sensor is also used in the `cheap` ones. Their theory was a poor design in the cap, with the leads in the cap located very close to each other, & possibly the rotor, were the real issues.
I would hate to pay $300 for an Opti that had identical parts in it to a $50 one. I know this has been beat to death, but I'm still confused.

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
Delphi is a GM company that supplies parts to GM. Their quality is still miles higher than the Chinese opti's. There is a difference. Also MSD is good, my msd hasn't missed a beat in almost 5 years. And when it does die, MSD will rebuild it for about $120. Only part that won't be new will be the body.

If you buy Chinese, you better buy 5 of them, maybe that way you'll have one that works out of the box, and a spare for all those times your shipping the other back to seller.

There is no perfect opti. But GM, Delphi, MSD are still miles above the rest. Even if GM, Delphi, and MSD went to Chinese optical sensors, you can bet they are not going to accept junk. Who ever supplies them, will have to get it right, unlike the $50-$150 examples.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Be sure to test before putting all back together!

R&R the Opti and then put back on just enough to complete all the electrical connections.

Then, start the car, if it runs correctly with no problems, then you have at least a chance it will be OK...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts