LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have killed two alternators in the past week running 6600 rpm +. Before the cam swap, I never went over 6000 stock bottom end. Is this a function of the alternators burning out from the revs or do I have another electrical problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can also grab an underdrive pulley to lessen the rev's seen by the alternator. If something weird is going on, that can help alleviate the stress on it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I murdered another one yesterday... Got a free battery at the same time I picked up my latest alternator because it tested bad as well. After a couple blasts on the highway, the volts gauge was back in the red. I'll pick up another one tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
baddogz28 said:
I murdered another one yesterday... Got a free battery at the same time I picked up my latest alternator because it tested bad as well. After a couple blasts on the highway, the volts gauge was back in the red. I'll pick up another one tomorrow.
is this the return of bad luck racing

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
99formulam6 said:
why are you revving so high anyway? is limiter set that high, or is that where you shift?

some cams make there power that high in the rpm band, chances are that the case here...

as for the revs vrs alternater... do you have an underdrive pulley?
most of the guys with monster cams also have 25% underdrive pulleys, so even though they rev to 7000 to the alternater its only 5250... i burned up one alternator before i made the swap to underdrive

·
Registered
724 Posts
i know some cams make their power up that high....but the cam in his sig is 233/236 .585/.599 112 lsa...it doesnt seem like it would continue to make good power that high. maybe the heads help...:dontknow:? im no expert, just a observation...plus the fact that there are no mods listed about his bottom end, which leads me to believe its a stock bottom end.... :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts