LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i was driving to work today on the freeway!! i was going like 80 mph and i punched it to pass a car and all of the sudden my throttle would not respond i was pressing on the gas but it did not accelerate at all it like the engine shut off!!! so i pulled over and came to a complete stop and i heard my engine running so it did not shut off and i pushed the pedal and it responded!!!! lol!! this has happened to me twice already and it has all happened doing the same thing!! my engine runs good and idles good and i scanned it and everything seems fine!! i am thinking that it could be my torque converter!! could the torque converter cause this!! i think its the torque converter because my car will not accelerate untill the auto tranny goes back into first!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody???

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will check it but i dont think its a fuel pressure problem because it has only happened twice and both time were at high speeds!! the car idle fine ans starts up fine it does not sputter at all at wot!!

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the first time it happened around 90 and this other time it wus at 85!! it does not happens everytime i hit those speeds it has only done it twice!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think it is a tranmission problem. I have a tranny problem with my 92 volvo 240. When I'd get step on it, the tranny will hang up and not move to 3rd or 4th. At the moment its been sitting parked in my driveway for months now.I have to cycle through the gears to get it to work properly. I'll take it to a tranmission shop one day, though I fully expect to the transmission to be gone thhough, it does have 196k on it. Engine solid though, body is great, interior fine to, so ill prolly just fix it. lol, sorry to take this thread of topic, but yeah have ur tranny inspected.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea thanks man!!!! i new it wus someting with my tranny cuz after that problem happened to me my tranny has been shifting late!!! thanks for ur help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 2000 Impala. It could be the tourqe converter. Mine ended up needing a full rebuild but mine was much worse than yours sounds.

·
Registered
175 Posts
my car shuts off at high speed=transmission problem?the trans makes your car die?motor shut off?i dont drive a f-body but that does not make sence to me.will someone please explain

·
Registered
340 Posts
NE Time NE where the original post says that the car does not physicaly shut off it just wont have any throttle reponse. he said he hits the gas and nothing happens but its still running.

·
Registered
175 Posts
my bad!must of been a pre coffee reply!

·
Registered
55 Posts
sounds like the top speed limiter to me, my 96 did the same thing its only supposed to shut off at like 120 or something and mine kept shutting off at like 90 or so, just felt like a dead petal, fixed mine with the hypertech , but i hear the 93's are different

·
Registered
175 Posts
if its the limiter do you think he could stay in it and when the car has slowed to below the limiter it would pick up again until it reached the limiter and it would just cycle like that as long as you held it down.the best way to try that is at the track,but another way to do it is to secure the rear of the car on jackstands,pointing away from house and run through the gears with the wheels off the ground.should be a pretty good check.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fuel (injector) cut off speed for the 1993 Z28 is disabled in a stock tune it's set to 255 MPH in the constants table, If someone did decide to enable it, the resume fuel setting s/b about 2-3 MPH below the cutoff. Unless the settings are way out of whack the vehicle should not require slowing way down to re-enable the injectors. A previous post mentioned TPS.. I would put a volt meter on the TPS sensor with IGN on/ engine off slowly open the throttle blades and make sure the voltage moves smoothly from .5-.6 (close) to 4.5 fully opened. There should be no voltage jumps or flat spots, wiggle the wires, connector and tap the sensor to make sure. Could also be your fuel pump dying at prolonged high volume running then recovering as you slow down. That would require a longer hose extension on a gauge taped to your windshield while running. Since this a '93 you can use a paperclip to read any DTC errors, do you have any ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hey this is a little off topic but kind of relates. If you can eliminate the speed limiter with the hypertech does this mean that Trifecta can do it with one of their mail ordered tunes? I'd like to get rid of mine since it cuts the car not much past 110mph. :-x

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey this is a little off topic but kind of relates. If you can eliminate the speed limiter with the hypertech does this mean that Trifecta can do it with one of their mail ordered tunes? I'd like to get rid of mine since it cuts the car not much past 110mph. :-x
wouldn't that be kind of scary in a wagon??

·
Registered
193 Posts
To the OP: fuel pump going bad, maybe?

Mine is in the shop awaiting a new fuel pump. I was having symptoms like you described. I would be cruising along at about 55-60(I know not quite as fast as you mentioned), and I would punch it to try a pass and it wouldn't do anything for 1-2 seconds, then it would accelerate just fine and let me pass the car. Like you said, mine didn't do it every time, I would say about 3-4 times in 2 months or so. During that time, I put on 2 new fuel filters and that seemed to solve the problem for the time being, until last Tuesday when I had to run an errand and when I came back out to my car to leave the damn thing wouldn't start.

Had to have it towed to my mechanic where he was looking over it and scanning the codes and what not and found it to be a bad fuel pump.

Damn fuel pumps are to friggin expensive, $400+. Atleast for my LS1. Also, wrestling the damn fuel tank away from under the car is a pain in the ass, I wrestled it for like 30 minutes cursing it before I finally got it out from under my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts