LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we don't have a Gen Tech, I found this in my links... makes for some interesting reading and just helps me feel better about not liking K&N. (yes it's better than the 'paper' test done on the other air filters...)

Discuss.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I guess that means I need to pull the K&N out and go back to paper.

I have heard that diesel guys running K&N's for some reason get more particles on their magnetic drain plugs after oil changes than when using paper. My brother was telling me about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use some gay ass rice air filter I bought brand new on Ebay for $5. Works great on my car and I push a lot of air. Tough to find an air filter with a 4" opening and K&Ns were about $50

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
YOu drive the car on the street w/o a filter? I would not want to suck up all that trash in my motor....that'll kill the rings.

I don't drive it all that much. Maybe 6k a year. I do keep the filter in the car thuogh under the seat. So this way if it starts getting bad I throw it in.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
gettinthere said:
I don't drive it all that much. Maybe 6k a year. I do keep the filter in the car thuogh under the seat. So this way if it starts getting bad I throw it in.
Good point. Mine maybe doesn't even get 3K a year now.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Good point. Mine maybe doesn't even get 3K a year now.

I don't drive it in the rain or anything so it's not like I'm gonna suck up water.

Just clean the MAF screen once in a while and all is good.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me introduce you crackas to a definition...

Micron
A unit of length. One Micron = 39 millionths of an inch (.000039"). Contaminant size is usually described in microns. Relatively speaking, a grain of salt is about 60 microns and the eye can see particles to about 40 microns. Many hydraulic filters are required to be efficient in capturing a substantial percentage of contaminant particles as small as 5 microns. A micron is also known as a micrometre, and exhibited as ?m.

There is a reason why this unit of measure is used in the world of filtering. To put it in perspective, my mics (one of those little do-dads used to put an engine together and blueprint it) go out to .0001, ~3 microns in size. Do you really think .05 in the quarter is worth not having a good filter? And running with NO filter? That is just plain ignorant in my book. I'm glad you guys have money to spend on a rebuild down the line. I personally like taking care of my stuff. I expected this sort of response from the resident ricers. :eek: :p

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'd def put it back in. Its one thing to remove it at the track if your car benefits (mine doesn't, actually loses some) but an entirely different thing to run around on the street without one. A windy day could get all kinds of dust sucked up in there. Dirt, debris, and particals = bad for something as delicate as the internals of an engine.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
josh99ta said:
I'd def put it back in. Its one thing to remove it at the track if your car benefits (mine doesn't, actually loses some) but an entirely different thing to run around on the street without one. A windy day could get all kinds of dust sucked up in there. Dirt, debris, and particals = bad for something as delicate as the internals of an engine.

I'm gonna put it back in. Just need to do some more tuning then and see why it runs better w/o one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Soooooo....the bottom line is?????

A filter is better than no filter? :)

btw-I just (literally) replaced my in home/house heating & air unit today; $1800 total (I think that's a good deal?).

Anyhow, when the guy's came inside to look at my filter to make sure it was clean, they said to switch to the cheap fiberglass one's, cause my current one is putting too much strain on the unit. I thought the more gunk you kept from getting to the unit (or engine) the better. :dontknow:

Heeeyaahh??? :confused: :eek:

Tonights double-feature nightmare: "Car AND home air filters & the havoc they can reek."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts