LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Stay away from any opti parts that are not AC Delco, MSD, or Dynaspark. Even the cap and rotor. Do yourself a favor and buy quality parts for the opti, or else your gonna be doing the job over and over.

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
they can't mess up a cap and rotor too badly. i've put cheapass chinese made cap and rotors on tons of distributors and never had an issue.

it's NEVER the cap and rotor on a knockoff opti that flunks.

the only real issues:

- if they use cheap metal in the contacts, they could wear out faster, and it's not something you want to have to do twice.

- the cap might not seal as well as an OEM one (you can confirm that before installing it though)

· Registered
62 Posts
While he may have 0 problems with a cheap cap and rotor, the quality is still not there. I'd personally rather not have to worry at all about it. But that is just me. If you need to save the money, then go with the cheap parts.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah MSD would be my choice for cap and rotor. They're just a very good design and quality.

· Registered
585 Posts
Stock coil and ignition or spiked MSD/aftermarket?

· Registered
7 Posts
Well to add my opinion to this: I have just run a Chandler Motorsports opti for the last 10 years and 50000 miles. Never did have a problem with it untill the radiator blew out an drenched it in coolant. I had never heard of AIP opti until I saw them myself on Ebay lately.

· Registered
6,361 Posts
Well to add my opinion to this: I have just run a Chandler Motorsports opti for the last 10 years and 50000 miles. Never did have a problem with it untill the radiator blew out an drenched it in coolant. I had never heard of AIP opti until I saw them myself on Ebay lately.
AIP (a.k.a. All Ignition Products) has been around for a long time. When they first started making replacement optis, they were so bad that there was almost a class action lawsuit from the LT1 crowd. They screwed many an LT1 owner with lack of product support.

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
one does have to wonder if companies like AIP did eventually improve their product and work the kinks out, but nobody will ever know, because they're scared off by how horrible their earlier production runs are.

· Registered
7 Posts
I just disassembled my 10 yr old Chandler Motorsports opti checking to see what went wrong. It did have some coolant in it but not that much. The other thing I found out was that the sensor inside is not Made in China. Mine has a big Made in Japan pressed into the bottom of it. I think I am going to clean it up put it back together and see if it works now.

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
I wouldn't count on that sensor being made in Japan. The Chinese are notorious for counterfeiting parts, marking them with a Brand name and false country of origin.

Example is Walbro fuel pumps. Chinese counterfeits have both Walbro brand name and made in USA on the fakes.

MSD ignition controllers are another example.

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
never seen a japanese company other than mitsubishi make an opti sensor, probably is a clone. chandler motorsports is a very cheap opti. but also keep in mind the optispark game has changed a lot in the last 10 years...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts