LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new to the site and was looking for some info. Can u help?

I have a 97 z28 lt1 and its my first sports car.....so this coming weekend i wanted to clean up the engine bay by doing the fuel line relocation, wire tuck on the passenger side and i was gonna order some fuel rail covers. Now the real question, my ac leaks and i never use it anyways i was gonna get the ac delete pulley but was wondering if i could replace my ac pulley with my alternator and if its possible and what would have to b done. I would rather not buy some 400$ bracket

·
Registered
891 Posts
People have modified the stock bracket to relocate the alternator to the a/c compressor location. You'll need minor fabrication skills and a welder with aluminum spool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Ive also heard that but all pic links i found were broken....same with pics of wire tuck. Do u know where to find any pics. I can prob fab it up but have no details. Thanks again.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts

This is what I did. I added a ribbed idler pulley up top and shimmed it out with washers. I trimmed the mount that is sticking out as it comes close to the frame rail. Might need a washer or two to pull the alternator closer to the bracket as well. Note, the tower with the idler can develop a stress crack. Guys run a bracket from tower to tower to strengthen it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man great pics......how do i remove that entire bracket. Does that bracket only hold the alt and ac. Sorry first project

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
Another alternative is to use the compressor itself to make your bypass pulley. Steveo has a thread in the 4th gen sticky threads on how to do it.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
Power steering pump too. Two 10 mm bolts iirc that you access through the holes in the pulley. They are the long bolts in my picture. There are at least 3 bolts holding the bracket to the head/block. Probably around 13-15mm head on them. Its pretty simple stuff.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
When I did it, I put the bottom bolt in the alternator and would pivot towards the bracket till I had enough clearance. I then placed the upper ear behind the bracket, installed bolt, and used it to hold the bracket at the correct position for mounting. I clamped it and drilled two holes, installed bolts and wa la!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Now that the alternator is down under like an LS1, you may want to consider using the same type of spray shield to keep the water off it. The LS1 is on the driver side but you could easily put one on the passenger side instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does that guard fron spray coming from the tire? I was thinking of this and thought about maybe closing up the bottom of the bay......minus oil pan, headers etc....any thoughts.....bmxer?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I wouldn't need this for my car. The very few times I'm out in the rain are slim to none and then I do almost anything I can rather than drive through large puddles. I'm more scared of getting the opti wet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts