LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC system on my 94 V6 Camaro works when you put freon in it, but only for a few days. It's weird because it seemed to be holding vacuum pressure when we closed the valves on the gauges and turned off the pump. Once putting some freon in and removing the lines from the gauge set, the high pressure valve was hissing. So I replaced that and thought I had it going. Charged the system and drove the car. Few days later, it quit working again. Today I decided to mess with it some more. I replaced the valve core of the low pressure valve just to be sure since it was again seeming to hold vacuum pressure. Well, I found out you have to vacuum out both sides. While the low pressure side was holding vac pressure, it was the high side that slowly bled off. So I put dye in the line and added just enough freon to get the compressor running. I searched around with the UV light before finally finding dye all over the bottom of the compressor. Looks like it's leaking out the front and the back.

Here's the deal. I don't want to spend $200 on a new compressor. Granted, I don't have to flush the system because the compressor didn't fail and contaminate the system, but still, $200 is a lot of money given the value of the car. Since the compressor works, is it possible to take it apart and replace only the seals/gaskets that are leaking? Are there any instructions online showing what seals/gaskets I need to buy? Looks like there are several options on rockauto, but I want to make sure I get all the gaskets I need, and none of the ones I don't. How hard is it to take one apart and put it back together?

·
Global Moderator
13,339 Posts
Don't waste your time putting new seals in your old compressor. It will likely fail in the near future.

But don't buy a rebuilt compressor as most of these are junk. Buy a new compressor, it will cost more. But should also last longer.

It's common to go through several rebuilt units before finally getting a good one. And every time you change the compressor, it's more time spent, more money for r134, unless you have a recovery machine. I'm betting you don't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts