LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
a little update for you guys.....I went ahead and tried to put freon in the system and it worked!!!! As soon as the 1st can was half way gone the compressor kicked on and sucked the rest down quick. I put another half can in it and quit because I didnt want to put to much in it. It blows ice cold!!! I am glad I didnt buy that compressor now...... Now I just have to find the leak. Thanks for the help you all saved me a bunch of money!!:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have one more question. While the car is at idle what temp should the air be in the center vent? It was 80 degrees outside with high humidity and the center vent was blowing 45 degrees on max ac.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been searching for answers as to why the cooling fans are not turning on for me. The AC needs to have a certain pressure in order for the fans to turn on, and the AC compressor on the car that I'm working on is not coming on. I'm suspecting low pressure in the AC due to a leak like mentioned in the previous thread. So with a low pressure condition its possible this could affect the fans not coming on? I don't know why these damn things are so complicated. Fans should be on when temp gauge goes up, goes off when its low. For me it doesn't matter they don't go on at all. I found this on another website....

Fan Mode Temperature A/C Pressure
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Primary (RH) Fan ON: 107 C / 225 F 189 psi
Primary (RH) Fan OFF: 103 C / 217 F 150 psi
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Secondary (LH) Fan ON: 111 C / 232 F 240 psi
Secondary (LH) Fan OFF: 107 C / 225 F 210 psi

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I can't find answers to my problem. My 94 V6 car didn't have working air when I bought it. I was told a recharge kit from Wal-Mart had been put it, but it only worked for a while. That told me it was just a leak. I bought a gauge kit ( which reads high and low pressure ) and some freon. My neighbor has an AC pump that he let me use. We hooked the gauges and sure enough, nothing. We hooked up the pump and let it run for 20 minutes. Then we closed the lines and unhooked the pump, but it held vacuum. With a leak in the system, you'd expect that to bleed off and the pressure to return to zero. We went ahead and put in one can of freon ( 14 oz ) and the compressor kicked on. It was blowing cold. When we unhooked the lines, it was hissing out of the high pressure valve. That explains why we couldn't see the leak with the lines hooked up.

Next day I bought a new valve and installed it after having the freon pumped out. Vacuumed out the system again for 20 minutes. Then added two 12 oz bottles of freon to the system. It was showing 30 lbs of pressure which is within parameters, and blowing cold. We drove the car for the next 3 days and the AC blew cold.

Fast forward to today. I get in the car to drive home after work, and I'm getting hot air. Upon further inspection, the compressor isn't kicking on at all. So I put the gauges back on and both the high and low are reading 45 lbs. No change at all even if I start the car.

Upon further inspection, the car is supposed to hold 2 lbs of freon. I thought the reading on the bottle was fluid oz, but it does say "weight" in front of it. So according to that, the system is 8 oz low. Seems simple enough, just add more. What I don't understand though is, why would the compressor kick on yesterday, but not today with the same amount of freon? Also, does it mean anything that the pressure was reading the same on both lines? Could that be indicative of a different problem?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

·
Global Moderator
13,116 Posts
If when compressor was running, you had 45 lbs pressure on high side, that is way too low of a high side pressure. I can't give you an exact number it should read on high side. But factory service manual located at following link will give you pressures and trouble shooting procedures.

www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

·
Registered
130 Posts
If when compressor was running, you had 45 lbs pressure on high side, that is way too low of a high side pressure. I can't give you an exact number it should read on high side. But factory service manual located at following link will give you pressures and trouble shooting procedures.

www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
I guess I should have clarified. After filling the system the first time, it had 30 lbs on the LOW side. The high was higher when the compressor was running. It was only after the AC stopped working that it was reading about 45 on both gauges. I'm aware that's too low, but it's because the compressor wasn't kicking on. I added some more freon and it started working again, but only had 20 lbs on the low side. Mostly because I used the whole can and couldn't add anymore. This tells me I've got another leak. The bad valve wasn't the only leak. I'm going to have to put some leak finder in when I top off the freon tomorrow. Then I'll just have to drive it around and then check it with the black light.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts