LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Z28 automatic convertible.

Have both of these lights on all the time. Immediately after start up they come on and don't go off until you turn off the key.

The brake light I already know only has two things that trigger it. Both can be tested by unplugging them. One by the parking brake and the other on the ABS unit under the hood. If the brake light comes on and you unplug one of those and it goes off, you know that's the one triggering it. In this case, it's neither.

ABS Inop light can be any number of problems. However, I've only found one thread where someone had both on and they were related. It was his EBCM. He replaced it with a junkyard module, and it worked. I tried that, and it didn't. Either the junkary module was also bad, or that's not my problem. I took the module apart to look for broken solder, and I can't find any. For people who've had that issue, are there pics showing precisely what parts have the breakages so I know where to look and resolder?

Most ABS Inop issues don't also trigger the brake light. Does anybody know which ones will? Everything else I've read online is usually an intermittent problem. Mine just stays on. Could it be anything other than the EBCM? I know these are related since I've eliminated all the brake light issues as possibilities and therefore these can't be two different problems.

And yes, I've checked fuses, relays, and the third brake light. All that checks out.

·
Global Moderator
13,163 Posts
You need to download the 95 factory service manual at the following link. It has chapter & verse on ABS & it's codes. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Next, you need to get an obd 1 scanner or scan program that reads ABS codes. You can download the free obd 1 PC based scan program called "scan9495" at the following link. It scans for regular codes, as well as ABS & SIR codes. And does running sensor scans & logs data to a file to read later, if needed. www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

Download the newest version in the lt1 v8 folder.You will need to download Microsoft dot net framework version 4.0 or newer to use the scan9495 program. Get it in folder at same place you get scan9495.

Finally, you'll need a 16 pin obd 1 aldl to usb port cable. You can get 1 at
www.obd2allinone.com/aldl.asp

When you get the scan program and get the code or codes, we can discuss troubleshooting & repair techniques.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didn't want to buy a cable since I'm going to sell the car anyway. I was hoping someone would know what ABS issues, if any, would cause both lights. Everything I can find causes JUST the ABS INOP. Aside from a bad Module that is. Bad modules tend to have cracked solder. Mine looks perfect. Is there anything ELSE than can cause both lights?

If nothing else, where in the manual ( which I already downloaded ) does it tell me how to diagnose when both those lights are on?

·
Global Moderator
13,163 Posts
Antilock brake section starts on page 5E1-1 and antilock with traction control starts on page 5E2-1

I'm afraid that your going to have to bite the bullet and read both sections completely. You will see that most all the ABS codes will switch on the light.

I'm not familiar enogh with ABS to tell you why both lights are on. You could have problems with both systems. I suggest you take car to a shop, if driveable, and pay to have them scan ABS. Be sure to ask if they can scan an obd 1 car

You could ask auto parts stores if the scanners they use for free code scans are able to scan ABS on an obd 1 car. That would save you some money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts