LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im going to buy this 1989 T/A possibly next week and wanna see what people thought and if im getting a good deal or not. Heres what i know so far, 350 TPI, 700R4 Trans, 9 bolt rear end with 3.27 gears. the front bumper needs bolted back on and exhaust looks weird and i plan to replace it cuz one of the tailpipes is bent. it has 158251 miles on it and looks great. ill try to post a few pics. its red with t tops and has the gold T/A wheels, i believe the car is debadged on the side and front. no emblems except the one one the rear tailight center piece. im gonna be paying 1300 for it. what do yall think. am i getting screwed???

Attachments

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice on this would help??? what do you think

the guy also has two center caps for the wheels on two of the wheels but you cant see them in pics... i need some suggestions or something. I WANNA JOIN THE 3RD GEN T/A WORLD. IVE ALWAYS WANTED ONE. just dont wanna get screwed in the process

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh i forgot something.... the previous owner the guy got it from was a girl that got it from someone not paying their title loan on it and she traded it to him for an suv she wanted.. apparently they knew each other and well he hasnt done anything with it.... he said it starts up every time and drives under its own power but all but one fuse is taken out lol... weird. i think someone needed fuses????????? not sure but he said no knocking or tapping or smoking or anything and doesnt leak a drop any wear or overheat. also the center caps say that it is the WS6 pontiac performance suspension which leads me to believe its the GTA... am i right?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it needs a passenger window and fuses and an exhaust. but a tune up and fuses will come first. i had a few other questions in my post though.. is it a good deal? is it a gta? there is no rust on it either. it has sat for awhile. just surface rust on the exhaust but thats normal for an exhaust pipe

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
Of course it's a good deal, any running driving car nowadays cost at least $1300. Don't know if its a gta. You could try the rpo list and check it against the GM masterlist, which I'll send you if you pm me with your e-mail address.

Another way to see if it's a gta is to run the vin number at www.compnine.com/vid.php

I stand corrected on the 9 bolt rear so I guess the 3.27 gear ratio is a possibility also. Learn something new everyday. Also learned that 9 bolt rear is much stronger than the 10 bolt and does away with the c clips that hole the axles in.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
cool thanks man... i hope was hoping to see if i was getting a steal. i know there are some really nice ones ppl are selling for upwards of 8 grand and to see i could get one for 1300 especially the 89 year... maybe i was getting a hella good deal for steal price of a classic. i mean this one is super nice too. the paint looks great on it and looks like theres been no body work from what i can tell. the clear coat is still on the rear bumper and the hood. and the t tops havent been faded either... whether or not its the lexan tops or a factory warranty glass replacement i dont know. didnt tap on them lol. and as for what the rear end is... i dont know either... i read on here some got had a 9 bolt with 3.27 gears from factory which i thought was weird cuz ive never heard of 3.27s but idk. in any case im pretty sure its the 10 bolt with the 3.23s

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
Also f-bodies use the GM 10 bolt rear end..
you're mistaken, 3rd gen f-bodies up to '89 did have 9 bolt rears

nice car by the way, post a picture of your RPO sticker so we can figure out what it is

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
oh yeah, and you have to know, you aren't just going to put fuses back in there and be good to go

nobody pulls a bunch of fuses unless there's electrical gremlins they're trying to work around

get ready to learn a lot about electrical systems

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yeah, and you have to know, you aren't just going to put fuses back in there and be good to go

nobody pulls a bunch of fuses unless there's electrical gremlins they're trying to work around

get ready to learn a lot about electrical systems

yea i kinda figured that but my dad is a mechanic of mechanical and electrical so its all good. and about the rear end thing i thought i was right about the 9 bolt.. the 10 bolt came on trucks along with the 12 bolt. i knew i wasnt that stupid... well anyways with the fuses thing. what could they have been looking for. i mean besides wiring shorts or lights not working. the fuses run aux things like starter which is the fuse thats in it and lights and gauge clusters and the radio and locks and seats and windshield wipers and cigarette lighter and stuff. its only the fuses on the inside of cab. what could possibly be so bad. this guy knows nothing about it besides he got it on a trade and drove it around the block he lives at and then it sat in his garage and now hes selling all of his toys and old school cars. hes done nothing with it. he said if he puts fuses in it then the price will go up cuz that means he will have looked at it. hes only drove it around the block and never did anything else with it. 42 year old guy.

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
point is, pulling that many fuses, that means the previous owner had an electrical gremlin they didn't solve, and it would be foolish to just throw the fuses back in without trying to find out what it is.

still looks like a good project though, they're well documented..

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
point is, pulling that many fuses, that means the previous owner had an electrical gremlin they didn't solve, and it would be foolish to just throw the fuses back in without trying to find out what it is.

still looks like a good project though, they're well documented..
i understand that but i gotta put fuses back in it to start where they left off. in order to find what fuse may be blowing or whats not working because the fuses are in. i gotta start by knowing. i cant really fry anything by putting fuses in. thats why they are there. to blow in case something wrong or getting to much voltage... right?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just remembered something ... the previous owner before him just had it in the shop and put new fuel injectors and fuel pump and starter in it.. maybe they were trying to fix a problem that way. from what he said. everything is good and new in it. just no fuses. idkwtf the lady before him did but she gave him documents of all work ever been done to it and ill get that with it. he seems to think the problem was fixed he just hasnt messed with it since he got it from her. anything u think about that.. anybody?

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
i think it will be a constant project and give you headaches, and take many hundreds of hours of your time. just be sure that's what you're looking for

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
I have an 88 service manual that should serve your 89 pretty well. It's too big to upload here or send as an e-mail, unless I split it into smaller parts. Let me know if you want it so I can start splitting. Also pm me with your e-mail address so I can send it to you.

In addition www.bbbind.com should have most of the wiring diagrams for your 89 to download, but there's nothing like the factory manual to help you through.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you run your vin through the compnine link I put in, it will tell you everything that came on the car from the factory. Sorry again for the wring info on the 9 bolt.
its all good about the rear end thing. it happens. about the vin. its an hour drive to get to the car where im at and he doesnt want to give me the vin without me there with cash in hand cuz i mentioned to him that my dad is a mechanic and i think hes afraid ill try to get my dad to either put a mechanics lein on the vin or file for a lost title and steal it from him. idk but he doesnt wanna tell me the vin without me there

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I missed the part about no title. Don't hand him one penny until he comes up with the title. You could be buying a car with a big lien on it, which you would have to pay off to get a title, or car could even be stolen. So be careful.
i dont know what your talking about... . never said he didnt have a title... he has a clean clear title in his name that he sent off for when he got it from that chick that got it from being a title loan shark or owning a title loan business... ya know youve been somewhat helpful but as a moderator i wouldve thought you should know your rear ends and read what i said thoroughly... with a 9 bolt rear end. im sorry if its rude but that post you made had nothing to do with this car about no title...... dont mean to be an a$$ but really man.... u must be tired or something hahahahahaha:poke: wake up

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you said in post #17 that owner wouldn't give you vin # because he was afraid your father would apply for a lost title, that clearly is saying that car has no title. If someone has a title in his name another person can not apply for a lost title. That would be fraud and a felony in all states.

Moderators do not know every detail about every car on the road. If you wish to continue being a smart ass, this moderator can and will make life difficult for you on this forum.

and you can forget the service manual offer as I don't help dick heads.
1...i said in post 17 that he might be afraid of lost title .not saying i would do it or that he doesnt have one when he told me he has one. he was more afraid of mechanics lien which is possible just by having a vin number of a car which in turn i could end up with car for free.

2...i know moderators dont know everything hence the 10 bolt remark you made.

3...there are other forums i can go to for help. i wasnt being a dick head or a smartass and if you think i was then forgive me for not knowing we have different senses of humor.

4...if you dont wanna help me with service manual offer then thanks anyway. thats how you do business. thanks for the offer on it earlier.

5...thank you cocobolo95 for showing me what some people on this forum are like... really... thank you for your help you offered to give. i aint mad at you nor do i think what i said was being a smartass or dickhead comment. :craz28: its all good here man. it wasnt like that.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and also cocobolo95 do NOT have to threaten me with making it bad on the forum. thats not adultlike. if someone needs help you should not try and make it worse for them anywhere. thats like seeing a homeless guy on the side of an interstate and hungry and you have 3 cheeseburgers in your rig and u not stopping to give him one. thats what americans do for one another. not be bigger dickheads ten what we think someone else might have been even though they werent being a dickhead but merley making a joking remark and someone else get butt hurt over it man. wth. it was a joke about you waking up if you were tired and giving advice. dont take it to heart. u need to laugh it up just like everyone else does. be american... fo god sakes you drive a few of americas best made automobiles. we all on ths forum have atleast that in common.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.