LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.automobear.com/2006ChevroletCamaroConceptConfirmedForDetroit.html

Were the Camry to be cancelled tomorrow, approximately four hundred thousand buyers would be briefly inconvenienced next year, before finding an alternative product to match or beat it. When charismatic emblems such as Camaro face death, in contrast, it is no exaggeration to speak of a sense of loss, for generations of buyers and admirers alike. As Anthony Young, author of one of the more authoritative books on Camaro, puts it, "the Camaro survived the insurance lobby; the emissions era; the bumper era; recessions, and countless competitors to become one of the longest running and most popular cars in the history of the automobile.

"It will forever remain in the hearts of all who have owned and driven one" (Camaro, Anthony Young, MBI, 2000).

This is a great read, I suggest following the link and reading the whole article.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Very nice... I have to finish more when things slow down here. Great read though

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
longest running? isnt the firebird the only GM vehicle to survive from the muscle car era till now without interruption

i dont know if the mustang ever had an interruption, but i believe there was one year w/o the camaro in the 70s and the very low number produced 83 corvette was never release to the public

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Camaro never missed a year until 2003. There were a couple of years (74-76 I think) w/o the Z/28 though.

Firebird never would have existed if not for Camaro. DeLorean (head of Pontiac at the time) Wanted the Firebird to be a Vette clone, but Chevy and GM corporate shut that idea down, so they gave him the chance to piggy back a car on the Camaro instead. The '67 Firebird was created in just a few months, basically after the Camaro was done and ready for production.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Camaro came before the Firebird by 2+ years. Hence why 97 was the 30th for the Camaro and 99 was for the Firebirds.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fenster said:
Camaro came before the Firebird by 2+ years. Hence why 97 was the 30th for the Camaro and 99 was for the Firebirds.
Not accurate.

Firebird debuted in '67 along with Camaro, but there was no Trans Am until '69.

Hence why the 30th anniv of Trans Am was 1999 while Camaro's 30th was '97.

That's why the 2002 Collector's edition Trans am wasn't called a 35th anniv. It could have been a 35th Firebird though.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Not accurate.

Firebird debuted in '67 along with Camaro, but there was no Trans Am until '69.

Hence why the 30th anniv of Trans Am was 1999 while Camaro's 30th was '97.

That's why the 2002 Collector's edition Trans am wasn't called a 35th anniv. It could have been a 35th Firebird though.
LOL I was close asshole!! :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
im just glad its coming back, i just about cried in 02 when the line was discontinued.
while ido like most of what i see with the pics, im curious as to what they are using for a chassis and what the curb weight is going to end up being. from the pics, it looks like a very lightweight car.

guess we can all assume the return of the t56 mated with the ls2 engine will be powering it. but who knows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts