LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 Formula - A/C compressor needs to be replaced (no, I'm not deleting it, but did consider it). Searching around, it seems like the best/only way to get to the compressor is from the top and removing the alternator and p/s pump. Just want to verify this is the approach to take.
So I need to disconnect the p/s pump at all, or just remove it from it's mounting bracket?
Any other tips appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Get it from the bottom. There's 4 bolts that hold it on. 3 13mm bolts on the front, and a hard to reach 10mm bolt on the back. You also have to unbolt the hard lines from the back of the compressor (I forget the size) and remove the wiring connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I removed my A/C compressor and put in an A/C delete pulley. Like Spartan7 said, it comes out from the bottom. I got the bolt holding the hard lines on from the top coming in right next to the (stock) manifold. I also dropped the stabilizer bar down, but I'm not sure if it was necessary. It seemed to give me a bit more room to pull the compressor out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - you gave me the insight and confidence to proceed. I had an hour this weekend and got the 4 bolts out. Still need to get the hoses disconnected and the unit extracted around all the surrounding junk.

In the box the new unit came in, there are all kinds of warnings about getting the thing aligned properly due to issues that there have been with a couple type of brackets either warping (aluminum), or just being a PIA to align.

Any advice or experience with this, or is it really a pretty straight-forward install?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks - you gave me the insight and confidence to proceed. I had an hour this weekend and got the 4 bolts out. Still need to get the hoses disconnected and the unit extracted around all the surrounding junk.

In the box the new unit came in, there are all kinds of warnings about getting the thing aligned properly due to issues that there have been with a couple type of brackets either warping (aluminum), or just being a PIA to align.

Any advice or experience with this, or is it really a pretty straight-forward install?
Yes it is very straight forward and simply bolt on. Make sure you put some oil in it before you install it and once the lines are all bolted up in the back, turn the compressor over by hand at least 10 times to move all the oil out of the compressor prior to first start up. Also, once you have installed all the componets and pulled a vacuum on the system and installed the R134a make sure to burnish the clutch by following the on off procedures spelled out in the instuctions by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new to the online pages and I have pulled my compressor out to replace the lines and I'm not able to get the compressor back in do I install the lines first then install it or install the lines once it's on the car tia

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed a new compressor on my 1997 LT1. Install the lines to the compressor first, then install the compressor. I did it from the bottom with the fans removed. I kinda twisted it into place - at first tilt it around 90 degrees and work it in, after a while tilt it back up. Very tight but doable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts