LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum as of today and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a both a 1997 camaro z28 with a lt1/4l60e and a full 2002 z28 donor car, the 02 is in pretty rough shape body wise and I personally prefer the style of the lt camaros so I'm looking to swap the k members of the cars and all other mechanical components that need be, I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and have been seeing "save your time and money and just buy a ls car" so I'm aware that isn't a cake walk but I'm pretty stubborn. The '97 is ready to go and the ls is almost out of the '02 camaro the one question I really have is wiring... Which I hate. And I was wondering if any of you guys know of anyone thatas h a plug and play for the ls harness to the body harness of the '97 car or do I have to suck it up and start splicing some wires. And also with the fuel system.. would the easiest way to do be just swapping the entire gas tank? Thank you.

·
Global Moderator
12,936 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you already have a ls1 car with all the needed parts, why not do the swap. I'd do the whole gas tank swap. As for wiring I'm willing to bet GM didn't change that many wires on the body harness.

The engine/ trans wiring and pcm should be an easy swap. I suggest downloading the 96, and 2000 factory service manuals in the sticky threads of 4th gen section. You can compare the 2 different years and see what needs to be re pinned.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Whooops! This site is a little tough from the phone.
Ok Painless may make a harness, but it will be expensive. I had a local guy do mine, his name is ken c. Fabulous work.
Fuel system. The 2 fuel systems are not compatable. The easiest way is to add a Corvette fuel rail under the hood and use the stock lines. The 'vette rail
has the pressure regulator built into it. But, dont worry...you still get to drop the tank! You need to replace the fuel pump with the one from the ls car. One the lt style tank you have 3 wires ground, fuel pump power and guage sender. On the 02 there like 12 wires and the fuel guages have different values. I ended up cutting and weldingparts of both sending units together so I could run the Ls lines. no bueno.
The next thing that caught me off guard was the trans mount. You will need to use the Lt crossmember. The Ls member wont bolt on to your chassis. It locates differently. The bad news is the Ls style trans has its mount aprox.1 1/2 inches further back. I stretched the mounts where it bolts to the chassis rather than welding a perch to my crossmember. There was contact with the pan flange when I trial fitted it. I have a friend that welded a tab to his crossmember and notched it for clearance and it worked fine too.
You can also make the air conditioning work. You use the Ls pump and the Lt lines. You will need to bend them a bit but it works great.
These are the biggest questions I had doing my swap. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One more thing, Do the motor mounts BEFORE you put it in! I did mine after and it sucked. And yes, if you have stock mounts you need to swap them to urethane, especially if you are running long rube headers. I also recomend the Urethane torque arm bushing. I did that after too , it wasnt as bad as the motor mounts but it wasnt a picnic either, so do it before you bolt it in.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ide agree with them , if you have it all already why not do it... i did an ls swap on my chevelle , love it..

from a wiring standpoint.. i cant imagine it would be very hard... youlll probably need all the wiring to the ECU from your 2000, but that is just 7 connectors, 4 under hood and 3 under pass side kick panel...

I know there are some changes for sure, but not sure exaclty which ones there are, cuz the diagram changes from 97 to 98 and then again in 99.. i cant recall waht.

but youll have to compare wiring diagrams before you plug and play and maybe nuke something.. check out shoebox.com.. hes got good wiring swap diagrams that you can probably easily compare. and swicth out some connectors from the 2000 harness to the 97 connectors and then youll be good to go. the wiring on our cars really isnt that complicated once you dig into it.

ge ras tank.. I dont know if itll work , but i bet it will, jsut swap your 2000 stuff over. its free and keeps a factory look. Or you can do the inline WIX setup but why not use what ya got.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Theres just a lot of added stuff on the Ls harness that needs to be deleted. Mostly on the C100 conector.
Trust me the tanks dont interchange. I tried, I know....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts