LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have a 97 ta that will only start on a 100% freshly charged battery. something is draining it off over time. initially thought no fuel/pressure. checked out ok. then i'm thinking alternator not charging/backdrain. swapped it out for new(120k miles so it was likely). no luck. code reader/ analyzer not showing any codes. anybody have a vague idea where to look next? i hate taking my cars to a shop. would rather fix myself. thanks chris

G

·
The very first thing I would do is find out why you need a 100% charged battery to start. Either look for some corrosion either on the battery terminals, or a loose/dirty connection at the starter or a bad ground. Its got to be something somewhere thats causing it. A bad battery will die real quick fwiw. How old is your battery?

·
Registered
250 Posts
any sterio mods recently? and like stated above, side post terminals= the bolt or battery gets stripped easy and can have a loose connection

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

battery is only about 2 months old, those connections are clean, checked when i swapped out the alternator, factory monsoon stereo system, the only mod i have is the moroso cold air box,been on for 11 years. starter is a good idea, will check it tomorrow, thanks again chris

·
Global Moderator
13,464 Posts
if your check doesn't find an answer try the old check for amp draw with ampmeter. If you don't know how to connect a amp meter, you disconnect the pos term of batt
and connect one lead to batt and one lead to pos wire. read amp draw, with key off,
it should be low around 100-200 miliamps. If its way higher, you have a something drawing power that shouldn't. If its high start pulling fuses, one at a time, until you find the one or one's that bring down amp draw to normal. That circuit or circuits will be where problem is at.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
First thing I'd do is disconnect the battery over night and and see if it's still charged the completely, even for 2 or 3 days if it's not a daily driver. I had my center console light switch stick and it drain the battery over night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi!
When your starter gets worn out, (the bushings in the nose and end frame) what happens is the armature sags down and gets “Grounded” in the pole pieces inside the motor case, causing a short. If you pull your headlights on and try to crank the engine, and your lights dim or go out, chances are your starter needs replaced.
Hope this helps!
Ben Smith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts