LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if i replaced just my muffler with a magnaflow on a stock 97 T/A would i notice any sound/performance difference ? The car is a convert so i do not want it to loud.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes and yes. You will have a slight performance gain via the seam of your pants but nothing significant. Factory mufflers on these cars suck. As far as sound it wont be too loud. I have magnaflows on my ls3 280zx and my 383 lt1 camaro and its not loud at all. I like it that way. They are straight through design so the restrictions are minimal.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i did exactly this on my 95 trans am and yes i think there was a slight performance increase but there is definately a noticeable sound difference. magnaflow muffler sounds much throatier than stock muffler. it's not really louder just has more tone to it.

here is a vid right after it was installed in 09. everything else about the exhaust is bone stock including the cat (95 only has 1, 96-97 have 2)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agree with the above, but I have the flowmaster 80 series with all stock piping and manifolds just different tips, about $120 and a nice, low, tough sound....btw, it just swapped right in place of the stocker

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are a bunch of reports of them being more restrictive. It seems the crossflow design, single in dual out is the issue. The 80 series is the one to avoid.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts