LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im new to the forum I just changed my water pump and while I was in there I took the air pump out. My car drives completely fine but occasionally has trouble starting it just cranks over. I do have a check engine light on now from removing the pump. Do I have to get that programmed out of my computer to have my car starting normally again.

Thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,700 Posts
Might want to scan for codes as you could have other codes besides the air pump. And no, the code for the air pump should not keep you from starting.

Might want to go to the sticky threads of lt1 engine section and open thread " diagnosing the optispark" Watch video and run tests.

·
Global Moderator
13,700 Posts
There are codes that don't turn on the ses, but do affect the way the car runs. It's the codes that don't light the ses that you need to scan for. If your scanner does real time sensor data scans, you might want to see what the sensors are telling you. If you don't know what sensor data means, pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send you pdf file of "sensor readings and what they mean"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have a scanner so I might just take it to the shop. Ive never used a scanner im not really good with that stuff. How challenging is using a scanner and diagnosing your car. And how much is a good scanner.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Using a scanner is fairly easy. The scanner will usually walk you through what it is your looking to do. If not its pretty easy to figure out. Last time I saw they were in the area of about 200 bucs. Last time I checked anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I dont have a scanner so I might just take it to the shop. Ive never used a scanner im not really good with that stuff. How challenging is using a scanner and diagnosing your car. And how much is a good scanner.
Most chain parts stores will read the codes for you these days for no charge. The codes usually give you a decent idea what to look for.

A code reader can be had for fairly cheap, like $30-$80. All it will do is read the codes, though. Usually come with a list of the common codes ("common" meaning the codes that are used by all manufacturers - there are brand-specific codes that these readers probably won't give you, but that really isn't a problem for engine stuff).

Something that can read data is typically what is meant by "scanner", and they do cost more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might go that route I really dont like taking my car to the shop. I think it might be the MAF cause I ran the car without any intake on it and it did fine but with the intake and MAF plugged in it had trouble starting and hesitated badly when I hit the gas. and when I unplugged and plugged the MAF back in it does better but still doesnt start sometimes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had oreillys run a scan and it came up with p0100 MAF sensor circuit insufficient activity. Should I replace the MAF. I cleaned it and there was no difference. And there is a hole in the intake after the MAF from taking the air pump off. I plugged it and it ran poorly so I took it out and it ran better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.