LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars rear end is making a loud grinding noise, it sounds just like very bad worn out brake pads where the pad is gone and the plate is grinding into the rotor (makes me cringe). I have replaced the rear rotors and brake pads although I knew that wasn't it. I have also drained and replaced the rear end lube which by the way made the noise a lot worse. It makes no difference if I'm turning or what speed I am going. Taking off or stopping there are no clunks, it just makes a constant grinding noise. The limited slip is not working now. Has anyone run into this before?

·
Global Moderator
12,987 Posts
Did you add the limited slip additive when you changed rear end oil? If no, add it and see if it helps.

If yes, You could have bad bearings at ends of rear axle, or bearings at rear gears themselves. Pinion bearing is another possibility.

Or a rear gear set & limited slip assembly in need of rebuild or replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I added the limited slip additive and I have always used synthetic lube in it. There is no excessive play at the rear wheels or at the drive shaft. I have never heard a bearing sound like this. There is no whine like a bearing going out and there never has been. Accept for the loud grinding noise you would never know something was wrong. The car still drives fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know it not the same but I jest whent throught this with my 2004 avalanche 6 months ago it was the rear pinion bearing. As you said it drove fine and had no play but sounded jest like rear brakes where bad. I costed me $600 to have it fixed all new seals and bearing. I have owned a few 90s firebirds and camaros but have not had that problume but I have have it with the avalanche And 2 mid 90 1500 pickups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it not the same but I jest whent throught this with my 2004 avalanche 6 months ago it was the rear pinion bearing. As you said it drove fine and had no play but sounded jest like rear brakes where bad. I costed me $600 to have it fixed all new seals and bearing. I have owned a few 90s firebirds and camaros but have not had that problume but I have have it with the avalanche And 2 mid 90 1500 pickups.
Not the news I really wanted to hear but thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts